Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 3 cats
03-06-2009, 02:11 PM   #11

Re: My pregant pud head ...

it was a total accident, yet you saw her being mated
I hope the cat that mated her is FIV / FeLV clear

Sorry to sound harsh, but I help run a local branch of CP and if you could see just how many kittens are in rescue or waiting to go into rescue, you may have thought twice about watching your in-season cat accidentally get mated. Maybe you will find homes for them and I really hope you do, but if she has 8 kittens - that's 8 homes that could have been taken up by taking in a little rescue kitten.... just a thought!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1
03-06-2009, 04:52 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by smudgley

Sorry to sound harsh, but I help run a local branch of CP and if you could see just how many kittens are in rescue or waiting to go into rescue, you may have thought twice about watching your in-season cat accidentally get mated. Maybe you will find homes for them and I really hope you do, but if she has 8 kittens - that's 8 homes that could have been taken up by taking in a little rescue kitten.... just a thought!
Doesnt it make you want to SCREAM!!!!!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Exotics,oriential,siamese,& Mogg...
03-06-2009, 05:17 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by smudgley

Good post Smudgley....!!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
03-06-2009, 07:20 PM   #14

In my PR work for CP I come across lots and lots of people who really have not a clue about neutering etc - including journalists and broadcasters who really should be more familiar with the facts. Despite much publicity the majority of the public remain ill-informed or apathetic (no offence here to Tracy as this isn't intended to be aimed at her).

I see our job as one that needs to educate as many people as we can and get them on side. I find the best way to do this is by being non-judgemental and non-confrontational as that only serves to alienate and ends up in a 2-fingers-up attitude and a backlash against what we're trying to achieve.

Again, not bashing anyone here as I know there are very strong views held - ones which I 100% agree with and support. But sometimes we need to tread a little delicately to really get our point across!!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
05-06-2009, 06:31 PM   #15

I agree with all the above posts completely and yes this is an emotive topic. I have seen some terrible sights in rescue through Diddydawn and have listened many times to her heartache over some extremely poorly kittens, so like Borderdawn, it does make me want to scream.
I do question as to just how accidental this litter is as you saw the mating??? If she were one of mine and I saw her caught by a tom, I'd have had her straight down the vets and had her spayed there and then.
I'm sorry if that sounds unsympathetic to your current situation but my sympathies lie ultimately with the cat.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 mog
05-06-2009, 08:26 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elaine
I agree with all the above posts completely and yes this is an emotive topic. I have seen some terrible sights in rescue through Diddydawn and have listened many times to her heartache over some extremely poorly kittens, so like Borderdawn, it does make me want to scream.
I do question as to just how accidental this litter is as you saw the mating??? If she were one of mine and I saw her caught by a tom, I'd have had her straight down the vets and had her spayed there and then.
I'm sorry if that sounds unsympathetic to your current situation but my sympathies lie ultimately with the cat.
I agree with you Elaine, and good post Smudgely. We have had too many of these type of posts lately and it does make me want to scream in frustration. I supoose it's one of the reasons I don't visit here as much as I used to.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1
05-06-2009, 10:18 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim
I agree with you Elaine, and good post Smudgely. We have had too many of these type of posts lately and it does make me want to scream in frustration. I supoose it's one of the reasons I don't visit here as much as I used to.
Same here Kim.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Exotics,oriential,siamese,& Mogg...
05-06-2009, 10:20 PM   #18

Must admit I am begining to feel the same as well!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Imogen BSH
05-06-2009, 11:10 PM   #19

I just wanted to add that I hope my advice to the OP wasn't taken as promoting the breeding of 'accidental' litters. It was given purely as advice, with the interest of the cat and unborn kittens in mind. After working in rescue and being involved in handrearing of litters when things go worng, I would advocate neutering all pet cats.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
05-06-2009, 11:15 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinklizzy
I just wanted to add that I hope my advice to the OP wasn't taken as promoting the breeding of 'accidental' litters. It was given purely as advice, with the interest of the cat and unborn kittens in mind. After working in rescue and being involved in handrearing of litters when things go worng, I would advocate neutering all pet cats.

I dont think that your post was seen to be advocating accidental matings PL, I certainly didnt read it that way.