Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 mog
23-04-2009, 09:28 PM   #11

Re: Building up a thin cat

When we rescued Poppy (our greyhound baby) she was extremely thin as she had been starved. We gave her several small meals a day and fed her Hills sensitive, I am sure you could get some sort of 'build up' food at the vets or on-line, even if it is just for a few days.

Sorry, I had missed the fantastic news that Chester has returned - that is brilliant! I am so pleased for you.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 3 cats
23-04-2009, 10:36 PM   #12

If he was very thin (I know he is very thin to me & you as we know him as our little man, but he's not very thin as in painfully thin/neglect type starving thin)... so if he was very thin, I would say gently does it on his tummy, little and often, bland to start then increasing to better quality food and then onto higher protein food.

However as he is a healthy adult male, who has been on an adventure and lost condition through poor nutritient, he shouldn't need to be going right back to little and often and gently does it..... I would be giving him, a premium quality dry food, something that is high in protien (good protein) and plenty of it (as opposed to little and often) if he will eat it (without gorging on it) I would have it in plenty supply. Something like RC baby cat or Purina pro plan kitten. Get plenty of that into him and in 3 weeks you will see his condition coming back. By 5/6 weeks he'll be shining like a bramley apple & will have good muscle tone again.

I'm just so glad he is home

It's true what Kazz says, he was a strong healthy young man & he will be again, he just needs building up.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
24-04-2009, 01:39 PM   #13

Prawns are going down well! I'm not sure how ultra-nutritious they are but he's certainly enjoying being hand fed these treats

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Tortie Chloe & Black Misty
24-04-2009, 01:45 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinahsmum
Prawns are going down well! I'm not sure how ultra-nutritious they are but he's certainly enjoying being hand fed these treats
I bet he is!!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
24-04-2009, 01:50 PM   #15

What a lucky boy!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Non at the moment
24-04-2009, 03:08 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinahsmum
Okay forget Chester... I will be straight down if you are hand feeding prawns I will take mine cooked though, for goodness sake woman you'll spoil him and Bentley I hope is getting his fair share of the prawns.... too as well as Dinah.... .......I do wonder though is he was locked in somewhere due to his worn front nails what did the vet say? any clues or information.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
24-04-2009, 04:01 PM   #17

I'll be joining Kazz if prawns are on the menu, although I'd be happy to serve myself!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Siamese and Moggies
24-04-2009, 04:11 PM   #18

I would mix in oily fish, chicken, chicken skins in with his food and eggs are good too for building up if he likes them, scrambled perhaps? How does he eat his meals? Does he eat it all at once or pick at at through the day? All mine have food down all day and by the time the evening comes and it's finished I just top it up, they don't tend to eat it all at once unless its wet food or something special like fish. If he eats all at once then i'd put him on 3 meals a day for now but if he picks then just let him pick at it all day. He will be right again in no time. x