Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: 1 Tabby Moggy & 1 Grey Moggy
29-01-2009, 07:03 PM   #11

Re: Thursday~Daily...

That is such a shame Angie. Unfortunately the older generation are not as receptive to change in a lot of cases and like their routine.

Do you have a crossroads charity by where you live?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
29-01-2009, 08:11 PM   #12

I've not heard about it Natalie - so probably not. It was a lovely day centre IMO, the staff were friendly and the other people there weren't "ga-ga" and were probably really interesting to get to know and talk to. There weren't loads of people there, space, activities so on. "Not receptive" is actually putting it mildly.

I think she would really benefit from seeing a psycho- geriatician or a CPN, but of course, she won't. There will come a time when we may have to make her do something she doesn't like. It is so difficult to go against the wishes of a parent - OH is really quite upset by his mother's attitude.

Catsey Senior

29-01-2009, 08:16 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by angieh
I've not heard about it Natalie - so probably not. It was a lovely day centre IMO, the staff were friendly and the other people there weren't "ga-ga" and were probably really interesting to get to know and talk to. There weren't loads of people there, space, activities so on. "Not receptive" is actually putting it mildly.

I think she would really benefit from seeing a psycho- geriatician or a CPN, but of course, she won't. There will come a time when we may have to make her do something she doesn't like. It is so difficult to go against the wishes of a parent - OH is really quite upset by his mother's attitude.
Where abouts do you live Ange?

We had the same problems with my MIL. Very stressful for all parties so you have my upmost sympathy. Maybe the GP can organise a CPN to come and see her at home? Just for a chat?

Catsey Senior

29-01-2009, 08:27 PM   #14

http://www.crossroads.org.uk/index.php?mid=2&pgid=20

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 cats black/white and one tabby
29-01-2009, 08:48 PM   #15

I've been at college today, Dylan's been fighting with another cat (posted on another thread about that though)

Catsey Veteran

29-01-2009, 08:49 PM   #16

Thanks for the link Natalie - we live in the Chichester District and Chichester Health Authority, although our postcode actually puts us in Hampshire!

Catsey Senior

29-01-2009, 09:01 PM   #17

Regnum (West Sussex) Crossroads
Second Floor, 76 Bersted Green Court, Hazel Road
Bognor Regis
West Sussex
PO22 9DY
t. 01243 830797
f. 01243 864600Map data ©2009 Tele Atlas - Terms of Use

I think they are your nearest branch. Ask your social worker about them. They provide a carer to look after your MIL while you have some me time. I have used them for 5 years with Millie and we also used them for my MIL. They took her shopping and just sat and did things with her while we had a break.

Worth asking.

Catsey Veteran

29-01-2009, 09:08 PM   #18

Thanks Natalie - I'll tell OH to ask the social worker when she phones. I've made a note of the contact details.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
29-01-2009, 09:11 PM   #19

Sorry your MIL is unreceptive to the idea, Angie. It would be great if you could get some help with her and manage that way to get a bit of you time for you and your OH. It was dreadful to lose both parents at relatively young ages, but at least I didn't have to go thru the sorrowful process of them losing their facilities bit by bit as they aged. Thinking of you..(((hugs)))

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Two Tabby Girls
29-01-2009, 09:55 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by angieh
Thanks Natalie - I'll tell OH to ask the social worker when she phones. I've made a note of the contact details.
The other thing to ask is for a Carers assessment. Make sure you emphasise your own health and the stress. You are entitled to a copy of your assessment.

Ask for respite services at home under care in the community if they are not offered to you.

Hope something is provided to you to enable you to have some respite.