Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 lovely boys and a beautiful girl
29-12-2008, 08:24 PM   #11

Re: New Years Eve?

I used to love Hogmanay, it was the highlight of our year. But after my granda passed away (20 years ago this year), the life just went out of it for all of us. He and my gran had 8 children and 22 grandchildren, and though obviously not all of us were there at the one time, we used to have nearly 100 people crammed into their house for the social event of the year He always used to do his Al Jolson impression after a few too many whiskeys , with my gran giving him daggers.

Nowadays we tend to spend it in our jammies, watching one of the tv specials (which are cack compared to years ago as well). I always tend to get a wee bit maudlin now, thinking of those who have gone

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Non at the moment
29-12-2008, 08:53 PM   #12

Ohhh this is turning into a maudlin thread.......look at it this way New year is the start of a new year and look how exciting that can be.................at the worst new things to moan about..............at the best lots of laughter and happiness, my Dave is never happy unlesss he is miserable....so unlike me.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
29-12-2008, 09:11 PM   #13

With one or two exceptions we haven't really done anything much at new year . . . best one was seeing the millennium in at Tower Bridge (and having to walk along the high-level railways lines into Tower Gateway as the cut the power on the DLR at 11.45)

Because of the children we definitely don't do anything much now; at home with the TV but I agree, I find it a tad depressing and don't dwell on the passing of time too much

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
29-12-2008, 09:17 PM   #14

I rather like New Years. A fresh beginning, a new slate; forget about the past. It's sort of like a new school year...who knows what interesting things may happen.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
29-12-2008, 09:41 PM   #15

Don't mind New Year. Have only been out to celebrate it once in my whole life. Got terribly drunk and ended up with gastric influenza and was in bed for two weeks. Never ever again.

One year, my parents went out and I had a bath and a glass of cider - got very merry that evening too, but not ill!

Nowadays we tend to have a sort of a buffet and watch TV. Unless we can find a decent film, I do agree that it's generally c***.

Does anyone remember The White Heather Club? Moira Anderson and Jimmy Shand?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 lovely boys and a beautiful girl
29-12-2008, 09:43 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by angieh
Don't mind New Year. Have only been out to celebrate it once in my whole life. Got terribly drunk and ended up with gastric influenza and was in bed for two weeks. Never ever again.

One year, my parents went out and I had a bath and a glass of cider - got very merry that evening too, but not ill!

Nowadays we tend to have a sort of a buffet and watch TV. Unless we can find a decent film, I do agree that it's generally c***.

Does anyone remember The White Heather Club? Moira Anderson and Jimmy Shand?
Now that's the type of NYE tv I'm talking about That and thingamijig. We used to love dancing around to the reels and jigs, ahhh memories

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
29-12-2008, 09:45 PM   #17

We could of course have a virtual party here on Catsey, come NYE??!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
29-12-2008, 10:26 PM   #18

I've only been to one New Years Eve party in my life: the Millennium one. Enjoyed it, got a bit tiddly, but just as happy to stay home and watch it on TV.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Non at the moment
29-12-2008, 10:35 PM   #19

See I prefer to spend new year at home or with close friends.....its too rowdy outside....and difficult to stay upright sometimes.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
29-12-2008, 11:41 PM   #20

Moira Anderson and Andy Stewart . . . they ring a bell; watching Hogmanay on TV in the 70s with my parents that's an enduring memory!