Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
08-10-2008, 09:17 PM   #11

Re: Merlin's blood test results

Angie, vitamin B supplements are a good idea. I used to give Winston a B vit supplement with trace iron and I beleive thats why he never became aneamic, which is something that CRF cats are very prone to. The supplement was called Pet Tinic.
http://www.felinecrf.org/anaemia.htm
You can get alot of info about treatemnts here.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
08-10-2008, 10:21 PM   #12

Interesting that Elaine posted that; I'd been wondering about iron supplements also but hadn't gotten around to Googling it yet......

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
08-10-2008, 11:08 PM   #13

Thanks for that link Elaine. There is loads to take on board there.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: dsh
08-10-2008, 11:11 PM   #14

Sorry to hear about Merlin's results, but they are probably not too bad for a 22 year old.
I was under the impression that steroids should not be given along with metacam, so I would confirm that anything being used alongside metacam doesn't have any contraindications.
Our vets are actually using tramadol tablets in dogs in chronic pain, where metacam is becoming less effective in controlling it, so it may be an option for cats also.

We had Misty in for a dental at the age of 19 this year, some of her blood perameters were up a wee bit, but the vets and I decided we had to do something if she couldn't eat. The plan was to drip her before, during and after the op. She wouldn't let them put a line in before she was sedated,but was dripped during and after the op and was fine. She now seems to prefer brekkies to her tinned food again!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
08-10-2008, 11:21 PM   #15

Just to clarify - I did not give Merlin his metacam while he was on the steroid tablets and not for 48 hours after he finished the course - the vet did warn me about that.

When Merlin had his cyst operation in June, he was on fluids for 24 hours prior to and after the operation. I think at that point it was a case that he had repeatedly been on antibiotics to kill the infection in the cyst and that was no longer working, so there really was no alternative. Bloods were done and all precautions taken - there was a risk, but it had to be weighed against the infection which was obviously draining to his general well being.

With the dental problems he is currently having, the antibiotics are currently working, and he is eating well and not showing pain on eating as he was previously. As we think this indicates that at the moment the antibiotics are working, we will have to see how long they continue to do so.

My previous vet (in the same practice) seemed much more relaxed about prescribing medicine that had not been licensed for cats - but had in his experience proved effective. The current vet seems much less inclined to use anything that has not been licenced. I have not questioned him about tramadol, but will mention that - thanks farthing.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Non at the moment
09-10-2008, 04:53 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by angieh
The vet did say that he is not a kitty in immediate danger (or words to that effect), so no, I did not ask at this point.
Hey up thats excellent news........... really really pleased.