Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: nnnnnn
08-10-2008, 07:55 PM   #11

Re: The time has come...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brigoose
I've been doing abit of research on the ideal age to get cats spayed , seems there is abit of controversy , alot of people are claimed that you should wait until 9 months, because before then they do not have time to fully develop and it inhibits the release of safe testosterone levels in males(im not sure about oestrogen in females) meaning that they can develop all sorts of problems, all of our males have never had any hormone/genital related problems though *touch wood* Soxy will be getting done within the next few weeks.

I wouldnt let them out straight after they have had it, leave them in overnight then see how they are doing the next morning, females take alot longer to recover than males. Nothing to worry about, just so the anaesthic has time to wear off,so no dirt gets into the stitches and so they don't rip them open. Saying that its abit hard to stop them from moving around if they are naturally abit on the wild side!
i went to the vets tonight & he recomended 9 months as well, so that is what i am going to do!

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: 2 blackX and a gingerX
10-10-2008, 09:21 PM   #12

Hopefully its changing everywhere then!
Cant wait for the photos of your norwegian forest cat if you get one! i was after one also, but everyone already moans about ours hunting, and im sure they will hunt more than the average!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Imogen BSH
10-10-2008, 09:37 PM   #13

We still recommend 6 months, obviuosly as long as the kittens are well-developed enough as sadly at nine months a large majority seem to already be pregnant as they have been left to wander.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: nnnnnn
10-10-2008, 10:34 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brigoose
Hopefully its changing everywhere then!
Cant wait for the photos of your norwegian forest cat if you get one! i was after one also, but everyone already moans about ours hunting, and im sure they will hunt more than the average!
lol! my older cat elvis is a BIG hunter.............he brought home a Duck once..........!! i dont mind its in his nature to get voles etc

i have foudn a fantastic breeder she has a blue tortie and its the most amazing looking cat ive ever seen its still forsale i wish i had the money now as id go and buy it tom!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinklizzy
We still recommend 6 months, obviuosly as long as the kittens are well-developed enough as sadly at nine months a large majority seem to already be pregnant as they have been left to wander.
i think he said that as well as my cat is small. my odler cat was neutered early about 5/6months but that was 11years ago!

i cant understand these people who get 9 month old cats pregnant?! thats like a child pregnant!