Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Non at the moment
27-07-2008, 06:44 PM   #11

Re: opinions on shelby?

They just followed their owner....Angie of course you realised that didn't you?.... it is so obvious.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 19 Persians, 2 Oriental SHs
27-07-2008, 09:40 PM   #12

I don't know why you would want to change her name. I think Shelby is a lovely name.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
27-07-2008, 10:34 PM   #13

I like Shelby also; Shelly, Michelle? ?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
27-07-2008, 10:58 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazz
They just followed their owner....Angie of course you realised that didn't you?.... it is so obvious.
Well of course Kazz! I mentioned what you'd said to my OH - his opinion is that dogs are superior in intelligence to cats and perhaps names mean more to a dog than to a cat. Not sure about that!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: torbie/white & 2 siamese xs
28-07-2008, 02:43 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kay
I don't know why you would want to change her name. I think Shelby is a lovely name.
well, it's only because i knew a shelby before and she was not a very nice person...

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: None
28-07-2008, 02:36 PM   #16

I would change the name if you don't like it, why have a name for your gorgeous kitty that you associate with bad things?

When we rescued our female cat (who lives at home) she was called Selina - ick! It just didn't suit her, so we renamed her Sophie. I think cats recognised tones of voice as well as sounds, so if you say her name enough in a certain tone she'll associate it with good things like cuddles and treats!

Catsey Veteran

28-07-2008, 11:29 PM   #17

that's what i was thinking, meep!
plus it's kind of symbolic..new life, new name..kinda like being reborn in a sense?
but maybe i'm partial because i did the same thing when i left my past behind...i moved to a totally new area and changed my name to tink...so maybe that's why i think it's somewhat important because it did help me feel like a fresh start.
i was looking at her medical records her owner dropped off. poor little dear had been with her since she was 12 weeks old and her 10th birthday is in december.
can you imagine? i literally cried for how that must feel.
i'm such a sap. i sometimes think i'm too sympathetic and emotional when it comes to my furkids..LOL.

Catsey Veteran

28-07-2008, 11:51 PM   #18

you know what? she is answering to "Emily" quite well..i think of course it's my tone of voice..i've always liked the name emma but my OH's mom's dog is named that..and emily has the same ending sound as shelby...do you guys like the name? i'm not totally decided yet but i'm leaning toward it...

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
29-07-2008, 02:11 AM   #19

I do like Emily; nice name. Give it a try if she seems to be responding to it......

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: None
29-07-2008, 09:12 AM   #20

Emily is lovely, very feminine and dainty And you could even shorten it to 'Em-y', M&M.... sorry getting carried away there Yes, I do lik Emily!

That is such a shame for the poor darling to have left her previous owner after 10 whole years, but I'm sure she's going to be ever so happy with yourself She may even be with you for longer than 10!