Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

View Poll Results: Are your cats?
Indoor Only 14 46.67%
Very outdoorsey 3 10.00%
Indoors most of the time 12 40.00%
Allowed to go out, but hate it? 1 3.33%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Owned BY Bubbles & Fizz (fem dsh)
21-07-2008, 11:41 PM   #11

Re: Indoor or outdoor cats?

I don't think it's cruel or silly at all. Bubbles and Fizz do go out but I don't/won't have a cat flap so I know when they are in or out, they never stay out all night (I wouldn't be able to sleep for worry). Most of the time they are only out when we are in so I can keep an eye on them and the rare time they are out when we are out is because the little madams wouldn't come in And then I worry all the time

Cats are perfectly happy staying indoors but they do need the extra exercise of playing etc. There are several options for a run / cat proofed area as well if you think they would benefit from being outside.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: .
Luke is Male
21-07-2008, 11:52 PM   #12

It's a personal choice.
Mine come and go as they please, houseules are in by 11 but with the warm nights i'm finding myself leaving the porch window open to let everyone come and go as they please. We live in a quiet cul-de-sac on the edge of the city, we stem off and are close to quite a main road, but the cats tend to stick to the fields, disused council storage buidling and quiet little backstreets to the back of us. Yes i guess they are at risk of being in an RTA but urban cats do gain roadsense, i've seen my oldgirl look both directions before crossing a VERY busy road-nearly had a heart attack in the process. As harsh as it sounds I'd prefer mine to have a naturaler life regardless of its length, the old quality not quantity thing with me. That said I expect mine to get well into their twenties
It really is down to the individual. I've lost one outgoing cat to going walkabouts, it broke my heart. But it doesn't make me want to deprive mine of going out, but that's just my opinion

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: Siamese
22-07-2008, 12:09 AM   #13

I understand that they may enjoy it, but if I have to live in the city, they will be far better off not knowing whats out there I think x

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Raggie and BSH
22-07-2008, 12:39 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorna
I understand that they may enjoy it, but if I have to live in the city, they will be far better off not knowing whats out there I think x
I think that is a wise choice. What they dont know, they dont miss
Jac x

Catsey Junior

22-07-2008, 01:08 AM   #15

Thanks Jac, I'm inclined to agree! xx

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Raggie and BSH
22-07-2008, 01:16 AM   #16

Go with your gut istinc, No one else can. I'm sure you will do the right thing by your babies.
I dont agree with taking a cat out on a harness. For what it's worth, I think it's like a tease/ But that's just my oppinion

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 3 cats
22-07-2008, 08:41 AM   #17

I have 3 cats.

Bluebell - goes out at 5am and stays out until it gets dark.

Smudge - out all night & in all day

Emily - in all day & night (we do put her out for fresh air but she soon comes back in)

All 3 are females, all spayed, all do what they like. The only rule is that Bluebell has to be in before dark.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 19 Persians, 2 Oriental SHs
22-07-2008, 10:08 AM   #18

In my opinion you are a brilliant mum for considering this issue while they are still babies. All 13 of mine are indoor only cats and are perfectly healthy, happy, well adjusted cats. Just make sure they have plenty of toys and playtime with you.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Non at the moment
22-07-2008, 10:36 AM   #19

I lost Archie to a rad traffic accident on a quiet no through road...so it does not matter what type of road as such as cats and cars do not mix well ....and if you think you are destined to move to a big city its better to keep them in. Then what they do not know they will not miss. When you are settled things may change but better safe than sorry.
The joy of two cats is they are built in playmates and entertainment for each other when young.

My Oscar and Cleo have always been indoor/outdoor.
Cleo would go out but not to bothered either way although she did potter to the back/front garden and follow the sun in summer. She would have been happy being an indoor only cat I think.
Oscar was an outdoor adventurer......but equally happy indoors (especialy as he got older) but he was a roamer when young, especially nights....also had a cat flap and found I could hear them coming and going with the flap swishing closed. But we hardly had any feline inturers through it as the dogs were on guard.

Another thought catflaps - do tend to bring other cats into your cats home which in itself can cause major trouble for your own cats sense of well being.

Catsey Junior

22-07-2008, 06:33 PM   #20

I think you're right, I'm glad that I am not crazy for worrying about this so early on, when I should be concentrating on the fact that I terrify the boys for some reason!!!!

But I think they will do fine together, they never leave each other alone and they sleep all huggled too, they like to play together in the evenings and I'm guessing they play when I'm not here as their toys are all always in different places!!!!

I just want to look after them so much!