Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Ragdoll, 2 Siamese & a Balinese
12-07-2008, 07:15 PM   #11

Re: GCCF code of ethics - buying a new kitten

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellenlouise
This is only my situation but Lilys breeder made me sign a contract which of course doesn't mean much but because we had such along time of getting to know each other we became friends and therefore began to trust each other. She knows all the new Mums very well and does keep in contact. Usually when the kittens turn 6 months she asks for a pic of the scar. Which I will be sending once Lils is done!
That's an interesting idea

Wouldn't work for a boy though

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
12-07-2008, 10:58 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellenlouise
This is only my situation but Lilys breeder made me sign a contract which of course doesn't mean much but because we had such along time of getting to know each other we became friends and therefore began to trust each other. She knows all the new Mums very well and does keep in contact. Usually when the kittens turn 6 months she asks for a pic of the scar. Which I will be sending once Lils is done!
That's different! My Dandy was sold and bought as pet quality, but the breeder wouldn't send his paperwork until I'd mailed him a copy of the vet's bill.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: Trinity(DSH) Neo(RagxPer)Lily(Rag)
14-07-2008, 12:47 PM   #13

I think I also need to show her the vet bill but she said she would be happy with a picture message of the scar. I couldn't make that up could I!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 19 Persians, 2 Oriental SHs
14-07-2008, 05:57 PM   #14

The guidelines are definitely there for the benefit of the kitten. All my kittens leave me no sooner than 13 weeks of age after having had their vaccinations. They are extremely outgoing and I have never had a kitten not settle into its new home or have any problems settling. At this age they have no feeding issues at all or toileting issues either. Younger kittens are much more vunerable. My contract is very strict and the ew owners, if they are buying a pet, do not get any paperwork until veterinary proof of neutering/spaying is supplied at the age of six months. This proof is in the form of certificate, which I supply with the kitten pack, which is not only signed by the vet but also stamped with the practice stamp. On receipt of this I will release the paperwork. If they don't have the pedigree then they have no names or registration numbers of parnts, grandparents etc. I have only had one person decide they wouldn't sign the contract so they didn't get one of my babies.

Please do not get duped by breeders who say they are registered with the GCCF. The GCCF do not register breeders they just grant and register prefix's. Breeders who have a GCCF registered prefix and register their kittens with the GCCF can be reported to the GCCF for breaking these guidelines. Therefore a breeder allowing a kitten to go to it's new home, no matter who it is going to live with, at say 8 weeks of age could find themselves in front of the GCCF Disciplinary Committee. If they are found guilty they can be fined (even stopped from registering kittens until the fine is paid), their name will be listed in Our Cats magazine and if they continue to do similar things they can be disassociated from the GCCF with their prefix being taken of them.

The GCCF may not get everything right but where kittens are concerned their guidelines are definitely for their benefit.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: DSH/Siamese/Orientals
14-07-2008, 06:17 PM   #15

Good post Kay!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1
14-07-2008, 06:42 PM   #16

Quote:
They are extremely outgoing and I have never had a kitten not settle into its new home or have any problems settling.
As far as you know.

Quote:
Younger kittens are much more vunerable.
From what? A new kitten going into a home at 8 weeks is EXACTLY the same as a puppy, do dog breeders keep them till they are fully vaccinated?

Quote:
My contract is very strict and the ew owners, if they are buying a pet, do not get any paperwork until veterinary proof of neutering/spaying is supplied at the age of six months. This proof is in the form of certificate, which I supply with the kitten pack, which is not only signed by the vet but also stamped with the practice stamp. On receipt of this I will release the paperwork. If they don't have the pedigree then they have no names or registration numbers of parnts, grandparents etc. I have only had one person decide they wouldn't sign the contract so they didn't get one of my babies.
Read the free ads, its full of "pedigree" kittens without papers.

Quote:
Breeders who have a GCCF registered prefix and register their kittens with the GCCF can be reported to the GCCF for breaking these guidelines.
The GCCF are the same as the Kennel Club nothing more, they issue recommendations and guidelines, if you mated your cat every 8mths or so and bred 4 litters a year or 14 litters a year, providing you have a reg number on the active register, they will register the kittens. They do not care how many kittens you breed, please dont make out they are anything other than what they are, a registration organisation, and one losing support at that!

Quote:
Therefore a breeder allowing a kitten to go to it's new home, no matter who it is going to live with, at say 8 weeks of age could find themselves in front of the GCCF Disciplinary Committee. If they are found guilty they can be fined (even stopped from registering kittens until the fine is paid), their name will be listed in Our Cats magazine and if they continue to do similar things they can be disassociated from the GCCF with their prefix being taken of them.
You said it Kay, money drives the GCCF! As long as they pay the fine they will continue to register kittens.

Playing devils advocate really, but dont make out the GCCF are some super duper organisation because they are no different to any other.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Exotics,oriential,siamese,& Mogg...
14-07-2008, 07:15 PM   #17

I just wonder with all these so called rules and regulations made by the GCCF, how have I ended up with a rescue siames, one who has not been fed properly, resulting with him being half the size he should be...??

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Ragdoll & Moggy
14-07-2008, 07:17 PM   #18

if so many people are against the GCCF or pedigree cats why are there so many on here?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Exotics,oriential,siamese,& Mogg...
14-07-2008, 07:19 PM   #19

I have 4 registered cats, but since joining Catsey, must now admit, I would never buy another....Catsey has opened my eyes to breeders....

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Moggy
14-07-2008, 07:22 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbie3917
if so many people are against the GCCF or pedigree cats why are there so many on here?
People are on here because its a cat forum and wether Pedigree or Moggy owners we all share the same interest and love of cats.