Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
16-04-2008, 09:51 PM   #11

Re: totally devastated

How terrible; you must be devastated! I have never heard of a case like this before; not something you would ever anticipate. I agree that it might be good to get the 3 year old checked at the vet......

It will be difficult telling the previous owner, but if you don't and she comes by unexpectedly to see her kitten......???

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
16-04-2008, 09:54 PM   #12

I am very sorry about this tragedy. Poor little kitten - a very strange thing for your female cat to do. ****HUGS****

Cats owned: tortoisehell
16-04-2008, 09:56 PM   #13

well this is the strange part . when I showed her the dead kitten she went a bit berserk and scratched me then ran of to the top of the cupboard and refused to come down eventually she did I stroked her she growled at me which is quite out of character for this cat she is actually quite affectionate then shes disappeared out of the cat flap and I have not seen her since . What on earth goes through these cats minds is a complete mystery

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Moggies
16-04-2008, 10:01 PM   #14

It is quite possible that she detected something wrong with the kitten ??? Had you taken the kitten to the vet for a checkup?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 lovely boys and a beautiful girl
16-04-2008, 10:01 PM   #15

Does anyone think, and this may be a bit 'out there' that the kitten had some sort of defect or illnesss that only the cat could sense? Just trying to make some sort of sense of this.

16-04-2008, 10:04 PM   #16

well I only know the previous owner beacause she replied to my ad we are not freinds or anything . The only thing is I Promised to send her pics and footage of her kitten as she grows up

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 mog
16-04-2008, 10:04 PM   #17

How terribly said, I am so sorry for you. What a shock! I have had cats & kittens all my life, and worked with them too and have never, ever heard of a case like this. I agree that it is worth getting the cat checked out and asking the vets opinion on this.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 lovely boys and a beautiful girl
16-04-2008, 10:05 PM   #18

Just found this on another site

Females which haven't given birth may treat kittens born to other females as prey. Pregnancy and birthing cause hormones which generally trigger maternal instinct. A female without kittens has not gone thorugh this process and the size and sound of the kittens triggers her hunting instincts.

16-04-2008, 10:07 PM   #19

no I had not really had a chance to. As far as i knew the kitten was very heathy she had a very good appetite , used the tray . The girl who had her before actually had taken good care of her it was the first kitten i have ever had who did not have a single flea

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
16-04-2008, 10:09 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexgirl73
Just found this on another site

Females which haven't given birth may treat kittens born to other females as prey. Pregnancy and birthing cause hormones which generally trigger maternal instinct. A female without kittens has not gone thorugh this process and the size and sound of the kittens triggers her hunting instincts.
This would go some way to explaining your cat's behaviour, don't you think?