Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: feral moggy
25-03-2008, 04:35 PM   #11

Re: 2 Older cats need help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by yola
There is no need to destroy the cats, and if the vet advocates this as the solution he is, frankly an idiot, or just looking at the £££s. You say the cats are not the best of friends, it could be that THIS is the problem - each is trying to overmark the other's scent. Separating them would resolve the problem. There are plenty of older people who would love a single, older cat.

I work with my local Cats Protection and we regularly run successful campaigns homing older cats with older people - even my Mum has benefited from an older cat with very fickle habits - and they love each other to bits!

Please urge your relative to seek alternative advice that from this vet . . . she is being badly misguided.
Excellent advice Yola

Cats owned: NA
25-03-2008, 04:58 PM   #12

Re: 2 Older cats need help!

It must be really hard for you Marley, being on the outside of everything, but I truely assure you that destroying the cats is not the answer.

Although there are wonderful and dedicated vets out there, there are also ones who are not so great. I really can assure you that we re-home many, many soiling cats and have NEVER had a cat returned to us beacuse the problem has started again.

I know that urgency of the matter is paramount, but you also have not given us much time to give advice. Many rescue centres take in cats in an emergency, but even they need a few days to sort out paperwork and the like.

Please, please give the cats a couple more weeks to try and sort something out. Whatever rescue centres have said to your relative, I can assure you that the problem can be sorted without destroying them.

I hope you don't feel "got at" it's just so frustrating when as a rescue centre we have to put animals down due to illness, cruelty and neglect, and it seems such a waste to put down healthy animals (albeit stressed ones) when, given a bit of time, i'm sure someone can help.

I am still waiting to hear back from some of my rescue centre contacts and I would hate to be a couple of days away from a solution.

Jen