Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
16-03-2008, 09:41 PM   #11

Re: pilling a cat

I rather doubt that, Tink...everything I've ever read about pilling says to hold the mouth closed and stroke the throat till the cat swallows. We can do it, and their anatomy isn''t all that much different....

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
16-03-2008, 09:42 PM   #12

Steph, dont take it badly, its just that some pills are formulated for time release and therefore shouldnt be crushed.
Tink, what I used to do was hold Winstons head up a little, not actually holding his mouth shut, and stroke his throat. Its the same with Eva and Bernie when I have to worm them etc. Sometimes they manage to spit it out but you will be amazed at how quick you become and how much easier it gets to pill a cat.

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
16-03-2008, 09:45 PM   #13

[quote=Tink;466535]okay..it'll only be half a pill a day and the pills are fairly small..i'll try the back of throat thing (though he clenches his jaw shut even with the amoxi which is why i was worried)..i guess i can hold his mouth shut till he swallows but i read somewhere not to do that because cats actually need to open their mouths to swallow...does that ring true to anyone?[/quote]

Tink, when you've popped the pill in his mouth, gently stroke him on his throat with his chin raised (if the pill has gone to the back of his mouth, there will be no need to hold his mouth closed)........keeping stroking until you feel him swallow and with luck it will have gone down!

Catsey Veteran

16-03-2008, 09:45 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by angieh
Never heard that Tink. Once you have managed to get the half pill as far to the back of his throat as possible (you may need your partner to hold the cat steady if you find he squiggles about) just hold his jaw closed firmly but gently and stroke the underside of his throat to stimulate the swallowing action. Shouldn't take long, but be careful - some cats can "hide" the pill somewhere in their mouths and spit it out later - though probably if the pill is bitter this shouldn't be too much of a risk! Good luck - let us know how you get on.
Every single cat I have ever owned knew how to do that!!!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
16-03-2008, 09:46 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soupie
Echo this ...... my boy was on prednisolone for 3 months and we had no probs with a pill popper. Prednisolone can taste bitter as well as I hate to imagine what crushed in water would taste like
I have always wondered about these - you have obviously found them helpful, but I would worry about the possibility of scratching the cat's throat especially with the first use. Much easier with an elderly cat with little fight in him (my Merlin for example) but with a young feisty animal???

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
16-03-2008, 09:57 PM   #16

http://vetmedicine.about.com/c/ht/00...0962935140.htm

This link might help a little.

Catsey Veteran

16-03-2008, 10:08 PM   #17

Good link, Elaine; I'd forgotten the butter part!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: torbie/white & 2 siamese xs
16-03-2008, 10:23 PM   #18

k, i feel much more prepared which is good cuz he's getting to the bottom of his liquid prepared meds..i think i'll prob end up throwing it out after tonight's dose as it's getting to the point i have to tilt the bottle quite a ways to get the syringe full up..will let you know how i do..thanx for your advice and feedback!

Catsey Veteran

16-03-2008, 10:34 PM   #19

Good luck! .......

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: torbie/white & 2 siamese xs
16-03-2008, 10:50 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandysmom
Good luck! .......