Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
01-03-2008, 09:24 PM   #11

Re: Is there an alternative to Frontline spot-on?

A perfectly reasonable question too. Personally I don't like these collars as they seem hard and unyeilding and can't be comfortable for the cat. I have seen cats with them on and after long use the cat does seem to go bald under the collar - not sure if that was the case for just that one cat, or whether others who have used these impregnated collars have found the same?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
01-03-2008, 09:38 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by angieh
A perfectly reasonable question too. Personally I don't like these collars as they seem hard and unyeilding and can't be comfortable for the cat. I have seen cats with them on and after long use the cat does seem to go bald under the collar - not sure if that was the case for just that one cat, or whether others who have used these impregnated collars have found the same?
Patches was wearing one of those when I rehomed her; she wasn't exactly bald, but there was very little fur there; took a long time for it to grow back after I removed the collar .......

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 beautiful rescues.
02-03-2008, 11:49 AM   #13

Thanks for the replies guys. I didn't like to refuse Auntie's offer, she sent them in the post, but they do look hard and quite unattractive. Will continue with the Frontline as advised by the vet, will apply later ( usually do it 1st of the month) then see how it goes. Both Posh and Bron are flea free (thank goodness) but if they are both house/garden bound is the risk lower? Sould I continue the treatment every month?

Catsey Veteran

02-03-2008, 12:32 PM   #14

On my Frontline pack, PoshPuss, it says every 5 weeks - not sure if that is standard.

I think ALL cats, whether they are mainly indoor or go outside as well still risk getting fleas - don't ask me how, the little b*****s can get anywhere! I understand that the dog flea is extinct (how can they tell?) and it is the cat flea that is always around. Don't know how the human flea is doing - but I always get bitten if Merlin has any passengers!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 mog
02-03-2008, 04:31 PM   #15

Posh poss, it is really a personal decision as to whether you frontline them every month. I personally prefer not to and just keep an eye on them for fleas. If they do get fleas I think frontline is very effective.

I don't like the flea collars either, I have used them years ago and as others have said they always get bald necks.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 beautiful rescues.
03-03-2008, 10:53 AM   #16

Im all out of Frontline now so I'll see how it goes with Posh. She's groomed daily and I'll see those little b's before they get a grip I suppose.As for Bron, my collie, she's never had them at all; guess we've been lucky. Posh had them as a stray, soon got rid of them and their dirt... dead! Won't use the collars, unless auntie comes to stay!

Catsey Veteran

03-03-2008, 03:27 PM   #17

Probably a good idea as you say you groom every day and you'll be the first one to spot 'em.

Just put those collars in a safe place in case your auntie comes to see you, but remember where you put them (If like me you put things in safe places and then forget where that is!)

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
03-03-2008, 05:02 PM   #18

I assume there is such a thing as a rat flea (spread bubonic plague in the Middle Ages), as Leia, who had never had fleas before, suddenly had a few last Autumn just after she killed the rat. I noticed them when she was having her nightly combing; I hesitated to use Frontline as she had a bad reaction to it as a kitten, so just continued to flea comb and squash them; no signs of them or flea dirt since then! I was lucky that there weren't many and apparently I got them all before they multiplied...or maybe they do not thrive on a cat...no idea, actually .....

Catsey Veteran

03-03-2008, 06:34 PM   #19

That's interesting, dandysmom and inspired me to go and look for info straight away!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rat_flea

I think you and Leia could have been lucky bunnies - but of course the flea has to bite an infected rat first to be a bubonic carrier.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Imogen BSH
03-03-2008, 07:26 PM   #20

PoshPuss-Just my opinion but I wouldn't use flea collars at all, they're only really effective in the local area and the fleas favourite places tend to be along the dorsum and at the tail base! They also seem to lead to the classic bald patches in the collar area.
Frontline will be effective against fleas all over the body.