Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
07-02-2008, 08:19 PM   #11

Re: Thoughts on Foofoo's deafness

Balie's dental op that he's just had included a FOC follow up.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 19 Persians, 2 Oriental SHs
07-02-2008, 11:48 PM   #12

Follow up appointments should usually be included in with the original price.
One thought about the deafness. They could possible have damaged the tympanic bulla when they removed the polpys. Another thought is that Foofoo could have had the polyps for a long time, they usually occur in younger cats age between 1-4, and this alone could have caused damage and led to the deafness. Just a thought.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: 3 persians
08-02-2008, 12:18 AM   #13

She has always had problems with her ears. When I first picked her up she was shaking her head and had ear mites but her ears were checked when she was first rescued and all was ok.

The vet did say seeing as I didn't know her history then she could have had an untreated ear infection which had caused all the damage.

I'll post a piccie of the internal camera photos.

Left hand piccies are before and right hand after. The right ear is the one with the polyp and the left has black in it which apparently is ear disease.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 beautiful rescues.
08-02-2008, 01:01 PM   #14

Sorry you have this dilemma CS. I'm sure the vets would not mind you asking about the op. in the least. Foofoo is your pet after all and you pay for the services they provide.
The follow up was probably free anyway so there's no cover up there. The pics indicate ear disease, this looks more threatening than the polyps. Did the vet show concern about this ?

Catsey Senior

09-02-2008, 12:33 PM   #15

I was alarmed about the black disease too but the vet didn't really seem that interested in it.

I'm seeing Fabes' vet at Uni of Liverpool next week and I'm going to ask her opinion (off the record of course!). She has dealt with ear polyps etc before. I'll be picking Foofoo up after I see her so will be able to ask the ear vet anything she mentions.

Catsey Senior

13-02-2008, 09:06 PM   #16

Well good news!

The hearing test showed that she has got limited hearing and isn't completely deaf. The left ear is the worst one but they are hoping that once the ear drum heals it will improve.

I asked about the ear disease and apparently the black wasn't black tissue but gloopy ear wax stuff - an indication of ear disease.

I spoke to Fabes' vet and she said she would be wanting to know if the ear disease was further down the ear and a CT scan would show this. Fabes' vet does this but not Foofoo's. I'm going to have a chat with my own vet and take her advice on whether it needs further investigation.

Anyway she has been discharged and is on a reduced dosage of the steroids for 3 weeks. If she shows any signs of discomfort going forward then I have to take her straight to my own vet and they will treat as normal.

She is still a bit spaced out and has sat my her food bowl since getting back this afternoon. I put some food on a saucer on top of some DVDs because she was struggling to eat and lower her head at the same time. Done the trick and she has eaten about half a pouch.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
13-02-2008, 09:29 PM   #17

Well that seems a little more encouraging with regards to her hearing. Will the steroids help to prevent any firther deterioration?

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
13-02-2008, 09:42 PM   #18

That's good news, I hope her hearing will improve given time..

Catsey Senior

13-02-2008, 09:43 PM   #19

They were being used as an anti inflammatory and so we have to wean her off them now. Apparently you can't just stop them - so no idea really Elaine. I'm a bit muddled tbh as I also took Fabes to his vet today and have whizzed around the North West all morning!!
I had to be careful I dropped the right cat at the right vet!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
13-02-2008, 09:45 PM   #20

Now that would have left more than just you in a muddle