Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
04-02-2008, 11:49 PM   #11

Re: Elderly cat losing hair on her front legs

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiffanie
Hi Fran,

We use Spire vets in Newbold. I've been using them ever since i aquired my first cat 4 years ago....... I now have 4 cats and a dog! Once you start and all that.....

Hi Dandysmum,

Stress might be a factor in it all. We got our dog last July and he was a rescue and 4 months old at the time. He is a very boisterous dog and he does lack good manners a lot of the time. Perhaps seeing him bounding towards her when she knows she can't get away at any great speed is stressing her out a bit, and although he doesn't chase he does try and nudge her along with his nose
if she isn't moving at what he considers a fast enough pace!

Tiffanie.
Oh dear! If she wasn't used to a dog in her former home that must be very very stressful for her! I imagine she's a bit oldish to jump to a safe place when it charges at her ........is there a safe bolt-hole sort of place for her to escape to? Poor Beauty!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
04-02-2008, 11:54 PM   #12

Hi Tiffanie - Welcome to Catsey!

I have a 21 year old cat called Merlin, so I completely understand your dilemma. I found this website article particularly reassuring and helpful about quality of life for an older cat.

http://wizz-catz.co.uk/oldage.html

The article is so practical - I expect you have thought of most of the things for yourself, but I found it helpful to know that, going through the points in the article, I had not missed anything I could do to make sure that I was doing the best for Merlin .

I think a trip to the vet to get Beauty's thyroid checked is the best idea. Merlin has a "blip" and is carefully monitored.

Good luck - let us know how you and Beauty get on. Lol XX

Cats owned: 4 cats
05-02-2008, 10:02 AM   #13

Dandysmum,

She has got a couple of places to go when she wants to be out of the way. She doesn't 'do' jumping i'm afraid! We are moving house soon and are already putting our thinking caps on regarding places that Beauty can go for a bit of peace and quiet.

Either way we will make sure that she has plenty of breathing space away from the dog.

Tiffanie.

05-02-2008, 10:08 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran
Spire's are great! Ian the older guy who owns the practice is absolutely sound!!
Yes he is. The Australian guy seems good as well but i've only seen him a couple of times. The first time i saw him was when i had to go in with my cat Molly just over a year ago. Unfortunately she was very poorly and had to be PTS after discovering a large growth on her liver He was very good and understanding and let me stay with her a while. He then let me go out of the side door so i didn't have to face everyone in the waiting room.

05-02-2008, 02:41 PM   #15

Thanks Angieh. That article is very thoughtful. Most of it is what we do already but some of it is very helpful and reassuring.

Tiffanie.

18-02-2008, 03:37 PM   #16

UPDATE ON BEAUTY

Hi guys,

Thank you for all your replies regarding Beauty and sorry i have not come back sooner to let you know what's happened. Unfortunately Beauty passed away on the Friday before we were due to take her to the vets. My OH had the day off work and spent the day with her giving her lots of cuddles. She slipped away peacefully snuggled up in her blanket in front of the fire. We believe she was happy and content. My OH thinks she hung on to spend a bit of quality time with him. We are very upset that she is no longer with us but we are grateful for the time that we had with her and hope that we made her happy in her final few months.

Tiffanie.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
18-02-2008, 03:42 PM   #17

I am sorry to hear your sad news but *in a way* pleased that the ultimate decision was taken out of your hands and she slipped away easily and stress free in her own bed in her own home.
Take care

18-02-2008, 03:46 PM   #18

Thanks Dinahsmum. We are also glad that she was at home in familiar surroundings. She will be sadly missed.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
18-02-2008, 03:59 PM   #19

So sorry to hear your sad news Tiffanie. I think you can be absolutely sure that Beauty passed away gently in her loving warm home. It is very sad, but as others have said, in a way, a blessing and a lovely way to go.

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
18-02-2008, 04:16 PM   #20

So sorry to hear your sad news Tiffanie ........ it must be comforting for you to know she passed away peacefully at home and not alone..

Thinking of you ((((hugs))))