Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: DSH/Siamese/Orientals
02-01-2008, 10:36 PM   #11

Re: I'm getting so afraid for Merlin

Having been in this position reasonably recently myself, I can say with confidence that Merlin WILL let you know when the time has come. You will know when the time is right. {{{Hugs}}} to you. I really do know how you feel right now x

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1
02-01-2008, 11:23 PM   #12

Just one thing to say:
Better a day too early, than a moment too late...

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: Moggy
02-01-2008, 11:30 PM   #13

(hugs) you will know when the time is right.

Have you tried any cortaflex for his back legs? We have got Tinker on cortaflex now, she was getting very stiff on her back legs and quite unsteady but the cortaflex has made her move a bit more easily.

Tinker is much lighter than she used to be, she has lost much of the muscle around her back and shoulders and looks so much smaller, but she still has a good covering on her belly. The vet says that this is nothing to worry about and normal in a cat who has become less acive through age.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
03-01-2008, 12:28 AM   #14

Thanks Tinker - I will ask my vet about Cortaflex. Your Tinker's condition sounds much the same as Merlin's.

Thanks to everyone for their kind comments - I do appreciate your thoughts.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Owned BY Bubbles & Fizz (fem dsh)
03-01-2008, 07:00 AM   #15

I can only echo what everyone else has said really, you know him the best and you will know when it's time, you will see it in Merlin that he's ready to go.

However - quality of life is the key - if he is still eating, drinking, sleeping, seems alert of his surroundings and seeks fuss then I don't think that time is yet.

It can be hard to tell if a kitty is in a lot of pain but I've always followed the rule of thumb that if they are in pain, one of the quality of life elements goes.

I really feel for you, I was dreading making this decision for Squeak and bless her, she took it out of my hands by going in to her final sleep when she was ready.

*hugs*

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
03-01-2008, 04:53 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grete
I can only echo what everyone else has said really, you know him the best and you will know when it's time, you will see it in Merlin that he's ready to go.

However - quality of life is the key - if he is still eating, drinking, sleeping, seems alert of his surroundings and seeks fuss then I don't think that time is yet.

It can be hard to tell if a kitty is in a lot of pain but I've always followed the rule of thumb that if they are in pain, one of the quality of life elements goes.

I really feel for you, I was dreading making this decision for Squeak and bless her, she took it out of my hands by going in to her final sleep when she was ready.

*hugs*
Patches did the same for me, Grete. She was always utterly terrified of the vet, so it was a blessing in a way...but a sad shock . I have worried that maybe I left it too long...

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
03-01-2008, 06:21 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grete

*hugs*
Its so reassuring to know that there are kind people out there who have had the same experience. I raise my glass to you and send hugs to all of those cats we have held so dear.

The Snugglesafe still hasn't come, so I have made Merlin a hot water bottle today as it has been bitterly cold here. It has a fleecy cover and I have double wrapped it in a towel too. He is asleep on it in front of the kickheater in the kitchen. He has wandered about, shown interest in what's going on (especially when I was making him new HWB), he has eaten and drunk some water today. He also licked out my porridge bowl this morning. He has silently miaowed at me, head butted my hand to be petted and so, as you say above Grete I know that the time is not yet. It's not far off, but not just yet.........

Thanks so much everyone. XXXX

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: feral moggy
03-01-2008, 08:49 PM   #18

Meriln is such a gorgeous boy X I think he is gently telling you today that he isn't ready to go anywhere yet XXX

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Non at the moment
03-01-2008, 09:11 PM   #19

You will know when the time is. You will not have to ask you will just know in your heart.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 mog
03-01-2008, 09:37 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazz
You will know when the time is. You will not have to ask you will just know in your heart.
agree with you Kazz.

However, from your description today, it does sound as if he is still enjoying the simple pleasures in life, so not quite ready yet.