Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 19 Persians, 2 Oriental SHs
31-10-2007, 08:05 PM   #11

Re: Chronic Diarrohea

I would also say that the bottom cause is probably stress. It can cause major changes in cats and some of these would include hair loss, weight loss, diarrhoea and scabs. The fact that she is having to be confined, although I can understand why, could possible be adding to her stress and so causing a catch 22 situation.
Has she had fleas at anytime during this bout of illness? If so she could have a severe allergic reaction to them. This can cause all the above symptoms and can lead to aneamia as well. Has your vet run any test's like bloods or swabs? If not I would change vets and get some tests done.
I do hope it clears up or all your sakes.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
31-10-2007, 08:10 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grete
Hiya Chris, welcome to Catsey

Does sound very much like a stress problem and would recommend trying the Feliway as well as the foods and treatments the others have mentioned. Hopefully with the runnies resolved or at least improved, she will feel much happier and gain weight.

Hope she improves quickly and can be your end of the bed kitty again
I was also gonna suggest something to help her destress while you try other foods etc. Feliway diffusers can be great in times of stress as can rescue remedy.
Has she been tested for Guardia or pancreatitis or anything else?
Sadly with these things there is a lot of trial and error until you find the right foods and the right balance.
The weight loss is probably due to the chronic diahorrea. Is it possible that the scabs and the hair loss was maybe her scratching and pulling the hair out? Cats under stress often do this.
I wish you and the poor kitty all the very best.

Cats owned: Half bengal
Marble is Male
01-11-2007, 02:09 PM   #13

Thank you again for all of your advice. I have ordered plenty of Canikur granules which will hopefully firm things up little meaning she can spend a bit more time in the house and destress. I'll stop her eating the biscuits for a couple of weeks to see if that makes a difference too. I have also ordered a Feliway diffuser to keep in the conservatory in the hope that that helps things. I'll also book her back into the vets and ask them to check for the specific things mentioned. Hopefully between these things she will get a bit better. If anyone thinks there is anything else that I should also do straight away then please let me know. Chris.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
01-11-2007, 08:02 PM   #14

Good luck!
Please keep us up to speed on her recovery

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: DSH/Siamese/Orientals
01-11-2007, 08:12 PM   #15

Hi and welcome to Catsey. The Canikur and the Feliway sound like the way to go. Just to point out that the Feliway diffueser can take up to a month or so before you see some results and I actually favour Promax paste to Canikur although what works for one doesn't work for another and all that.. just something else to try if necessary. The other thing is have you had any stool samples sent off for analysis?? Often it might be necessary to send a few samples before you get answers as some 'bugs' can be hard to find in just a single isolated sample. My Siamese kitten was diagnosed with a Giardia infection through sending stool samples, she came from the breeder with it and it was very difficult to irradicate. Several courses of Metronidazole and Panacur where necessary to clear it up. By the way is your cat up to date with worming??

Good luck and do let us know how you get on

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
01-11-2007, 09:09 PM   #16

Coincidentally, this month's issue of a cat health newsletter I get from Tufts University School of Veterinary medicine has featured chronic diarrhea. Most of what the others have mentioned was discussed. However there were two tips that seemed helpful in adding fiber to the diet. They suggested discussing it with your vet first' but adding one to three tablespoons of Metamucil to the diet may help firm the stool. Also, adding two tablespoons of wheat bran per 14 ounces of moist food helps, with no known side effects. Best of luck in restoring Marble to health; do keep us posted!
Oh, and welcome to Catsey!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 19 Persians, 2 Oriental SHs
01-11-2007, 10:27 PM   #17

Let us know how you get on at the vets. I hope Marble gets better soon.

Marble is Male
02-11-2007, 10:35 AM   #18

Thanks for your thoughts. I have just read a very interesting article about Giardia Infection and it certainly looks very similar to what is going on, especially with her getting so bad just after being at the cattery! http://www.ahhb.net/Documents/Pamphlets/GiardiaCat.pdf I'm going to ask for a stool sample to be sent away for testing straight away. The Canikur should arrive today so we can get her on that too. I'll let everyone know how she gets on.

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
02-11-2007, 12:46 PM   #19

Welcome to Catsey, Chris!

I hope you can get some answers soon and Marble improves...

Marble is Male
02-11-2007, 12:53 PM   #20

The feacal tests are booked in for tomorrow, I think I'll let my wife collect the sample I went for the 'Gold' option which tests for everything including Giardia although the vet thought this was an unlikely cause. Lets hope something comes in positive so they know what to treat. If not its blood sample time.

The Canikur granules arrived today but she wasnt too impressed. She had just eaten a whole sachet of Chicken and Rice S/O so hopefully she'll try it when she is a bit hungrier. If not I guess we'll have to try mixing some in with the wet food.