Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: DSH/Siamese/Orientals
19-08-2007, 04:55 PM   #11

Re: career dilema

Good luck with your decision Smudgley. It wouldn't hurt to put in an application and then it gives you breathing space to consider all your options.

My hubby would never stop me from doing what I wanted to do. When I had career changes, he always fully supported me, even if he had reservations. That to me is what a relationship is about.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 3 cats
19-08-2007, 05:56 PM   #12

well he's not stopping me from applying, he wouldn't do that & he would be supportive if I did apply (I think ) but he has made his feelings clear that he thinks it would be a mistake.

I think the security is important to him & as I am the main wage earner, we would basically be in the s**t if I lost my job, therefore if I went for it & got it & hated it, there's no way I could give it up as we need both our wages now to get by.

There's no problem with my own job, I don't want / need a pay rise or a secondment or anything else. My job is perfect, it's very flexible, my boss is the best ever, my collegues are fantastic & I am very, very happy. BUT as you know I am involved with CP as a volunteer & when I heard about a job within the charity my ears pricked up & I looked into it. I've got an application pack & I've read the JD & people spec & it sounds great. Salary & perks are all similar to what I have now, & I feel like a complete change would be refreshing. I have only ever known GD's - been there since I was 18, always been loyal to them & would miss the dogs, but I think I want a challenge.

From an even more confused Smudgley.

Thanks everyone for your thoughts.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Raggie and BSH
19-08-2007, 06:03 PM   #13

I wish I could wave a magic wand and give you all the answers Smudgley. You'll make the right decision I'm sure and at the end of the day it's down to you, you have to do what's right for you

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
19-08-2007, 06:05 PM   #14

Keep thinking but put in a well thought out application anyway.
If it comes to it, you can always turn down a job offer, but you can't re-write history and apply after the closing date. It might help if you try to think of what you might be doing, in both jobs and in your personal life, in one, five and ten (maybe more) years time.
Good luck. x

Catsey Veteran

19-08-2007, 06:10 PM   #15

DM - I think that is the problem you know! In 1, 5 or 10 years, if I stay where I am I know what I'll be doing. I have no desire to move roles / gain promotion, I am happy with my job as it is.

BUT with CP - I don't know anything about them as an employer, I don't know what the job holds or how secure it would be & I wouldn't have a clue where I'd be in a few years.

That's what is bothering John, he likes the fact that I'm safe in a little comfort zone, I've studied & trained hard to do what I do, he thinks I'm silly to enter the unknown.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Moggies
19-08-2007, 06:22 PM   #16

Smudgley the fact that you even considered the other job speaks volumes. Go for the job, if that is what YOU want, don't let anybody else put doubt's in your mind.

I was very happy with my old job, had a great boss and loved working there, but I am very glad that I decided to move on.

If it doesn't work out (either getting the job or not) that is what is meant to be. You are an intelligent woman and something else would come along.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Non at the moment
19-08-2007, 06:29 PM   #17

I think you've hit the nail on the head there yourself Kelly, you will in 5 -10 years be doing the same thing you are in a rut....a lovely comfy, secure rut but a rut.

Why not fill in the form see what you "pick up" vibe wise, at the interview and then at least you will be trying to make a desision on something substanitial. Just because GD are excellent does not mean that CP will not be as good or better.

Will it mean more travelling or is it based at/near home?

Sometimes the grass is greener.

Karen

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: feral moggy
19-08-2007, 06:53 PM   #18

Some excellent advice and support offered to you Smudgely.
I'm not the best person to advise as I jump all over the place too. However put the application in, go and have a look around and an informal chat prior and if you get an inerview go for that, then make a decision. (you may have a look around, speak to the staff and decide youv'e changed your mind, you don't get a good vibe or it's just not right).
Then if you change your mind but still fancy a challenge think of taking a course in something completely different and see if that 's what satisfys your fulfillment???

Catsey Veteran

19-08-2007, 07:47 PM   #19

Kazz - it would be home based, but looking after some of the CP voluntary branches (in Wales / West Mids) so a lot of travelling at times, but no more than I do already.

BC - I can't go for an informal chat as I guess the interviews will be at head office - 3 hours away.

Oh I really am in a pickle!

Oh yes, the other thing is I'd have to lose the ties I currently have with CP, as you can't be associated with any one branch.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: DSH/Siamese/Orientals
19-08-2007, 07:51 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmmaG
Smudgley the fact that you even considered the other job speaks volumes.
I agree wholeheartedly with what Emma has said here and thought exactly the same thing tbh. You have nothing to lose Smudgley by putting in the application. You don't have to take the job if you are offered it but feel it really isn't for you.