Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Ragdoll, 2 Siamese & a Balinese
15-03-2007, 12:42 PM   #11

Re: So how do I go about cat showing? and getting suitable cat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soupie
With a household pet class what do they look for? I never thought of showing Pousse - she is very good about sitting in her cage

Thing is though she has hardly any teeth and a bald patch from an ill fitting collar before I got her? that would be counted against her wouldn't it?

Thanks for the useful advice! I am rather partial to Bengals and Tonkinese
Hi Soupie,

I'm not too sure what they look for with the household pets, as with the pedigrees they have a "standard of points" set by the GCCF which is what the judges are looking for. I'm entering one of my other cats into a household pet section in April, so will let you know after that how we do!!!!

I would think that the bald patch may count against poor Pousse, as I guess they look for quality of coat, eyes etc. However, I know that some shows have sub-sections in the household pet bit for "best rescue cat" or "prettiest female" or "longest whiskers" and things like that........so maybe it would be worth a go, just to see how you got on and to experience a show?!

If you want any more help, just shout. Or if you fancy coming to one of the shows that I'm at send me a PM and maybe we can arrange to meet up and I can show you what I know - which may not be all that much as I'm quite new to showing myself!!!!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Abyssinian tear-aways.
15-03-2007, 02:22 PM   #12

Re: So how do I go about cat showing? and getting suitable cat?

There is a section for pets at the end of this:
http://www.noreastcatclub.co.uk/schedule2007.pdf (page 25 - start from the end)
Not that I'm teling you you have to go to Scotland. It's just the catalogue I've just finished picking classes from myself. It will give you an idea of the classes that may be available. I've seen longer lists of classes for moggies, but I don't think they get that many moggy entrants in Dundee. There is also a list of the rules for this show - they're pretty standard.

Another way, if you have some experience handling various cats, is to get in touch with the show-manager and ask if they need any stewards for the show. The stewards get assigned a judge. They retrieve the cats from the cages to hand to the judge, keep the examination-table clean and runs errands. That would get you up close and personal to the whole thing and will give you an insight into what the judges look for. For GCCF you do not need to be certified to do this, but there may be many trusted and/or qualified steward-volunteers ahead of you in the line.