Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
15-01-2007, 11:12 PM   #11

Re: Children of the 40's, 50's, 60's and 70's

Nowadays the policeman would be cited for excesive violence, and the child's parents would bring a suit for police brutality....the times they are a'changin'.....

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
15-01-2007, 11:44 PM   #12

Brings a lump to your throat . . . I remember playing in fields oposite our house all day and every day during the summer holidays. My Mum never saw me - it worked for both of us

But you did just mess around, you didn't cause aggro to anyone else or hassle or intimidate or cause a problem. You just went out and PLAYED!! But you never damaged anything that didn't belong to you nor did you talk back to an adult and yes, we actually feared the police and our parents' authority

Hey ho. Those were the days.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Exotics,oriential,siamese,& Mogg...
15-01-2007, 11:45 PM   #13

We lived in the country, spent days out in the fields and swimming in the river, we were safe....I really feel sorry for the kids now, they have no freedom as such!

Catsey Veteran

15-01-2007, 11:55 PM   #14

Today things are so organized: play dates, soccer camp, ballet lessons, etc. We used to just go out and play! Up in the woods making dams in the stream, catching minnows...no one in their right mind in today's world would let a ten year old girl go out to play in the woods or fields...sure, we didn't have electronic games or TV, but we had radio, and movies, and especially books...weekly trip to the library was a treat..and most of all, we had our imaginations!! Not all change is necessarily better ...

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
15-01-2007, 11:59 PM   #15

DM - I was exactly 9 or 10 when I was messing around in the fields with dens and secret passwords etc

Moli, I have lived in or very close to London all my life and there was no more sense of danger there than in rural areas . . . it just didn't enter our minds. Of course we had be warned about the whole 'don't talk to strangers' bit, but we never had to call on it - ever.

Catsey Veteran

16-01-2007, 12:38 AM   #16

Same here for me, Yola, in Washngton...where the Georgetown University Hospital complex is now was meadows then...used to go down and enjoy seeing the wildflowersgrowing and catch butterflies...and where the "Social Safeway" market is now was scrub woods...whoo-hoo, I'm on a nostalgic memory trip tonight...kids today do miss a lot......

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
16-01-2007, 12:43 AM   #17

Keep going Eileen, we like hearing all about your trip down Memory Lane!

Catsey Veteran

16-01-2007, 12:50 AM   #18

Don't encourage me, Mags! Look what happened when you finally taught me how to post pics...unleashed the monster... off to dinner now; hate the time difference; you all will be in bed when I come back on...and I still need to tell Moli about the weather in Houston ...!! Goodnight, sleep well!

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
16-01-2007, 12:59 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandysmom
Don't encourage me, Mags! Look what happened when you finally taught me how to post pics...unleashed the monster... off to dinner now; hate the time difference; you all will be in bed when I come back on...and I still need to tell Moli about the weather in Houston ...!! Goodnight, sleep well!
Goodnight Eileen, enjoy your dinner ......... chat tomorrow!