Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
07-01-2007, 03:32 AM   #11

Re: Need motivating....

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexgirl73
Well I'm in the same boat Kelly, but OH and I are starting ours on monday. I've got loads of slimming world recipes if you want them. One tip I would give you is this, if you like cherry tomatoes and pickled onions get some to keep in your fridge. If you feel a craving come on for something sweet have some of those, it does actually work to take the craving away.
A woman after my own heart: I have always loved pickled onions!!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
07-01-2007, 09:39 AM   #12

I would say don't actually diet per se. Look at cutting down on portions, avoiding snacking between meals and cooking fresh food where possible. Putting together a home-made bolognaise sauce actually takes not much longer than opening a jar - and it's MUCH better for you If you don't have the time, get the girls to help out - I'm sure they're old enough for a bit of kitchen fun!

I personally feel that the whole 'low fat' thing is a huge con and as the food usually contains chemical substitutes in order to lower the fat content which I'm sure can't be good for you!!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
07-01-2007, 10:11 AM   #13

Portion size - reduce intake, increase exercise - hey, weight loss.
Use smaller plates, so you don't feel deprived.
Allow yourself a square of 70% cocoa dark chocolate per day as a treat. It's too rich to eat huge amounts anyway.
If you're really serious don't have things like biscuits, cakes, snack choc bars and crisps in the house - but you have children which may make that difficult.
There are great snack mixes of seeds/nuts/berries in Julian Graves and the supermarkets - great to nibble on.
Drink lots of water - at least 2 litres a day.
......... ? buy yourself something gorgeous in the sales but one size smaller. Use that as your motivation.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 10 cats (stray stayed) 3 sleeping x
07-01-2007, 11:53 AM   #14

Good Luck x

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Moggies
07-01-2007, 12:01 PM   #15

Well Smudgley I am back to low carbing now, as I put some weight on before Christmas (I was lucky not to put any on over Christmas)

So for me it is just wholesome food. An example of todays meals are

breakfast - soft boiled egg (no bread)
lunch - Heinz cream of mushroom soup (no bread)
dinner - shepherds pie, (no white potato topping, but I will use mashed cauliflower and sweet potato - this I think tastes better than white potatoes) and loads of veg

loads of water and fluids

If I eat these types of meals I will lose on average about 4lbs a week and I never feel hungry

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 lovely boys and a beautiful girl
07-01-2007, 01:41 PM   #16

See that sounds lovely but no way would I be full on that. I prefer slimming worlds at what you like way of dieting, lol. Lots of pasta and potatoes (loads of carbs), lots of veg or meat depending whether you're on a green or red day. I lost a stone and a half over a year that way, but put it back on through my own stupidity by eating loads of junk food again.

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
07-01-2007, 02:06 PM   #17

Smudgley, make sure you don't have any tempting cakes or chocolates in the house when you start your diet........ that's always my downfall

Have a special cupboard or box for the girl's goodies and tell yourself you are not allowed in there

Good luck with the diet!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Moggies
07-01-2007, 02:44 PM   #18

You did very well Alex, but what I like about low carbing is that I never feel hungry. As soon as I start eating food high in carbs (or at least high on the GI scale) it makes me crave very bad foods.

I lost about 3 stone low carbing and this was in a space of under year and I felt fantastic on it.

I think whatever diet people chose as long as it is right for them if they can stick to it, it will work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexgirl73
See that sounds lovely but no way would I be full on that. I prefer slimming worlds at what you like way of dieting, lol. Lots of pasta and potatoes (loads of carbs), lots of veg or meat depending whether you're on a green or red day. I lost a stone and a half over a year that way, but put it back on through my own stupidity by eating loads of junk food again.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 lovely boys and a beautiful girl
07-01-2007, 02:46 PM   #19

Very true Emma! My problem is I hate being restricted in what I eat (might be whyI dont diet very often then, lol).

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Ragdoll, 2 Siamese & a Balinese
07-01-2007, 10:25 PM   #20

I'm in the same boat too, but have just booked a short break to Tunisia with my Mum for the start of March and that is all the motivation I need!!!! I'm off to join the gym tomorrow. I'm crap at diets, but have done Weight Watchers in the past and find that that really works, and you can still have a small amount of chocolate. I think they do it online now too, so you could have a look into that.
Hopefully just smaller portions and more exercise will do it for me!!!
Good luck!!!!