Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
30-11-2006, 11:14 PM   #11

Re: Books for christmas

Kazz, as you may know, we're going through a spell of Political Correctness here, and the Twain books have greatly fallen into disfavor because of his use of the N word! Ridiculous, but there it is! I grew up on Edgar Rice Burroughs also, the original Tarzan (another one ruined in the movies!) and the John Carter of Mars stories,,,and another author fallen out of favor: Jean Stratton Porter..Girl of the Limberlost. Maybe it might be fun to have a thread of everyone's 10 favorite childhood books,,,

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Non at the moment
30-11-2006, 11:16 PM   #12

Go for it Eileen start the thread you always come up with such good thread ideas

Catsey Veteran

01-12-2006, 03:14 AM   #13

I did that quite some time back, Kazz, and neglected to add "classic" children's literature...ended up with a lot of Goodnight, Moon and current stuff...you're the one who comes up with imaginatiive threads...!!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 3 Moggies
01-12-2006, 08:35 AM   #14

Marley & Me is sad but quite funny at the very end. It's written so well that anyone with or without a dog can see the ups and downs of what they went through.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
01-12-2006, 10:07 AM   #15

I think Santa is bringing me The Thunderbolt Kid by BIll Bryson - about his childhood and growing up in Iowa. I've heard him talking about it and heard little excerpts. Love the bit where he talks about his mother who was not a good cook. His father re-named the kitchen as the burns unit!
I've got a couple of Mark Gatiss Lucifer Box novels for my son. Very funny, irreverend, rude and 'different' secret agent type literature for my son. OH is getting (from me) The Goldilocks Enigma, which is non-fiction and discusses how earth and all it contains came to be as it it. Also John Steinbeck, Sweet Thursday, which I didn't even know existed, and is, apparently the follow up to Cannery Row. DM - how can you put down US literature when there is Cannery Row and Steinbeck. One of my all time favourites. My paperback copy gets taken on holiday about alternate years and I still love it. It's getting a bit (a lot!) tatty and I love to read the price marked on the back - £1.95
My BIL (a keen gardener like myself) will be the happy recipient of 50 Ways to Kill a Slug, ,which you've probably seen.
So, there you have it. Hope no-one of mine reads this - will spoil the suprise!

Catsey Veteran

02-12-2006, 03:21 AM   #16

Sorry if you misunderstood my post or if I wasn't clear: what I was referring to was children's classic literature, not adult fiction. We hold our own with the best in the world there, but I've always felt that British writers do the best children's books! Probably because I was brought up on them!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
02-12-2006, 03:08 PM   #17

Yes - much 'skim-reading' been going on in this thread. I'm glad you're happy with your adult writers DM - there are plenty. My Canadian friend keeps pointing me to Canadian writers - I've found some very good ones from her. Many seem to evoke some long-lost, never known but 'there in the blood' 'old country'.

Catsey Veteran

02-12-2006, 09:05 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinahsmum
Yes - much 'skim-reading' been going on in this thread. I'm glad you're happy with your adult writers DM - there are plenty. My Canadian friend keeps pointing me to Canadian writers - I've found some very good ones from her. Many seem to evoke some long-lost, never known but 'there in the blood' 'old country'.

Is Margaret Atwood one of them? She's a favorite of mine ..........

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 lovely boys and a beautiful girl
02-12-2006, 09:56 PM   #19

I never get any books for Christmas, yet everyone knows that I always have at least 2 books on the go at the one time! Strange!!!
On the subject of childrens books. My 2 girls are avid readers and read far above their age levels. Raechel is reading Anne of Green Gables at the moment and has the usual assortment of Black Beauty, the Water Babies etc. She also dearly loves Enid Blyton, and has my old sets of the Famous Five and the Secret Seven (my mum held on to them for me). She collects modern series like The Babysitters club too and Goosebumps, but is like me in the respect that she will read anything!