Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
17-10-2006, 08:57 AM   #11

Re: They're Here!!!!! :-)

Sure that sounds more complicated than it really is!

Anyway, to take it slowly, it does sound as though the boys need to have their ears treated. If you hadn't done the Frontline they could have had a spot treatment that does mites as well. But they can't now, as you will overdose them on flea killer. So, I guess the answer is drops from the vet. Decide which vet you will use and 'just do it'. (If you are embarrassed about switching between two practices (not a great idea ) you could always tell the vet you do use that the previous owner did the Frontline immediately before you picked them up)

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 10 cats (stray stayed) 3 sleeping x
17-10-2006, 09:22 AM   #12

Great news on your new arrivals.....off to look for pics x

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: 4 moggie monsters (1 with Wings)
17-10-2006, 11:43 AM   #13

Dinahsmum: yep think i made it sound more complicated! lol and i think il take your advice and say that their previous owner gave me/done the frontline yesterday.

i have an appointment all booked for them for 5.40 this evening so will get all appropriate things! one thing thats worrying me, the person i got the boys from said that she wormed them with something she got from a vets. now im not sure whether to believe her considering she said they didnt have fleas!! do i still worm them today? if she DID only worm them last week(and again, not 100% sure if she did) would it be safe to do it again so soon? id rather get it done today if i can for piece of mind and making sure the boys are ok.

another thing-i know i probably dont need to treat my home for fleas as i treated the boys so quickly, but im very paranoid about this sort of thing. does anyone know of a product that is safe to use around animals and fish? it would be impossible for me to move all of the animals out of the house to treat it downstairs where the boys are is laminate flooring, and they have a duvet cover laid out in their pen-i was thinking of washing that and their toys/bowls today and bleaching the floor where they are but didnt know if the bleach would be too strong for their little noses?

sorry for all the silly questions would really appreciate some advice though!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
17-10-2006, 01:10 PM   #14

oh what a fussy new mummy you are!

Good that you are going to the vet. Don't worry about the worming - they will sort it. Modern wormers are very effective and not as 'fierce'/purgative as in the olden days. Kittens almost always have worms from their mothers (so I'm told; seems strange when you think that most adult cats ought to be worm-free ) and it is quite normal for them to have several doses of treatment whilst they are little.

There are flea products which you can use in your house - you have to keep the pets out of the room for a little while whilst/after you spray. Acclaim is one, Nuvan Top is another. I think they are both very toxic to birds and especially fish. I would only use them as a last resort and only when you know there are fleas.
Laminate is a good thing and fleas won't be able to do their lifecycle on that. Your cleaning idea sounds fine. Don't have the bleach solution too strong, there's no need for that.
If you want a natural flea deterrent use lavender oil. Dilute it hugely (say 5 drops to half a pint of water) and spray or sprinkle a few drops on a piece of clean cloth, let it dry and then put the cloth near the pets' bed.
Lots of vaccuuming helps keep them at bay too.
By the way, disinfectant (anything which turns cloudy in water) is very toxic for cats, so take care with that.

Now - go and play with them, coo over them whilst they are asleep and enjoy them. You're not supposed to worry!

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: 4 moggie monsters (1 with Wings)
17-10-2006, 02:28 PM   #15

you know me so well already! im such a huge worry wort-i really have to work on that

thankyou for all the tips and advice-feel much better after reading that! i will let you know what the vet says-i better go get playing with the kittens as ordered!