Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
11-06-2006, 10:18 AM   #11

Re: Kittens, hand rearing.. urgent advice needed

Well done Amanda.
I did it once, over 40 years ago with a semi feral whos mum was an rta victim. Think he was only about 10 days and he survived on cows milk and farleys rusks! Don't think we knew about replacement milk etc.
However, he thrived.
Sadly and ironically, he too perished on the road before his first birthday.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: Black & White
12-06-2006, 07:13 PM   #12

Thank you all so much for your wonderful support and yes they were adorable....

Dinahsmum, so sorry to hear of that kitten. You get so attached so quickly don't you (well I have).

Well I have sad news. One of the kittens died between 7am and 9am on Sunday morning He was obvously weaker then the other one and I have now become to understand that it was natures way. Still didn't stop the pain of losing him though and wondering what I'd done wrong...

The other little lad, who we decided to call wiskas, started to lap at water, and started to increase his intake of food (from 5ml to 10ml per feed). He is definately defacating by himself now. On sunday afternoon, we noticed two spots of blood on the wipe after wiping his bottom and so I took him to the vets this morning and she thinks he's about 14 days old.(and not the 3 wks old that I had been told) She gave him a couple of injections of fluids and antibiotics. We have a feeding kit and a tin of clinicat (think thats what it was called). She seemed quite happy with his progress from friday since she'd seen him last and said that he's not out of the woods yet, but we'd done everything right...

The downside for me is that I go back to uni tomorrow and so have to hand him over to a fosterer who can continue with his 3 hourly feeds 24/7. (I was only supposed to be having him until today anyhow, but I can tell you that I really, really wanted him to stay.. After a family consultation, we decided that it would be best for him to go to the other fosterer on account of I'm at uni (only 2 wks left), have assignments to finish and our girls who have helped me this weekend are at school and so even with shifts, we wouldnt be able to give him the 100% attention he needs now. I'm gutted and just wished that he'd been born 2 weeks later, as I'd have all the time in the world for him.. So this afternoon I had to hand him over..
We're going to miss the little guy and hope he does well.

I hope to hear of progress reports, so will let you know.

Thanks once again for coming to my emergency aid. You have all been a fantastic help and support.
Who knows, I'm sure that during my holidays there will be more kittens needing help and now I know what I'm doing. (the stupid thing is, I can tell you the dietry requirements of cats, what signs of illness to look out for, can even go into detail about their dietry, CNS system, endocrine systems etc, etc... but I've never actually owned or been owned by a cat... ... well there's time yet watch this space :lol )

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 10 cats (stray stayed) 3 sleeping x
12-06-2006, 07:23 PM   #13

Well done for everything you did for the two tiny fluffies, one has gone over to rainbow bridge, but both will never ever be forgotten x

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 mog
12-06-2006, 10:10 PM   #14

Amanda you did everything you could for those two little ones. I am sorry and sad to hear about the one that died, but as you say, often it is natures way. Good luck for the last two weeks of university. I have 2 children, one doing her GCSE's and the other doing A levels, then he is off to uni in September.

Catsey Senior

13-06-2006, 08:57 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweet
Well done for everything you did for the two tiny fluffies, [IMG]images/smilies/icon_sad.gif[/IMG] one has gone over to rainbow bridge, but both will never ever be forgotten x
He certainly won't. ever be forgotten and has his own special place of rest in my garden.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim
Amanda you did everything you could for those two little ones. I am sorry and sad to hear about the one that died, but as you say, often it is natures way. Good luck for the last two weeks of university. I have 2 children, one doing her GCSE's and the other doing A levels, then he is off to uni in September. [IMG]images/smilies/icon_sad.gif[/IMG]
I didn't realise that they had both been taken to the vets on friday morning after Carol had found them. The same vet saw Lucky as I've decided to call him now, on monday and she said he was totally different and a lot stronger. Again I could see see she was trying to warn me that he wasn't out of the woods, but trying to be encouraging all at the same time. But as I'm forever the optimist, I am thinking positive and preying that he makes it.

Well Linda phoned me today as she had spoken to the fosterer who says that he is doing just fine and that he's made it through another night She said that he's getting more active and is eating well. (thats made my day, I have to say)
I woke up at 2am this morning, went downstairs and was ratching around for his syringe and feed.. wot a dozy so and so I was.. it took me about 5 minutes of searching before I realised that he wasn't here so we're missing him...

[Off topic reply to Kim] My eldest is doing his GCSE's now too, so I hope your children and mine do well. its a stressful time for them at the mo, but I'm sure they will do just fine

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 mog
13-06-2006, 10:40 PM   #16

[Off topic reply to Kim] My eldest is doing his GCSE's now too, so I hope your children and mine do well. its a stressful time for them at the mo, but I'm sure they will do just fine [/quote]

Thanks - let's hope so. yes it is a stressful time, I do feel for them all.

Catsey Senior

20-06-2006, 06:24 PM   #17

I heard from Wiska's foster mum today and she said that he is getting stronger by the day. He's a lot more active now and loves to crawl all over her. He's also started weaning too and is happily taking some form of solid from her finger. Obviously, he's not completely out of the woods yet, but I'm thinking positively that he will make it.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: NA
20-06-2006, 07:03 PM   #18

oh so glad to hear he is doing ok. but very sad about the other cat.

Well done for doing such an amazing job, it isnt easy i bet

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Tortie Chloe & Black Misty
20-06-2006, 07:20 PM   #19

Fingers crossed for the little one and hope he continues to keep up the fight.

RIP little one who didnt quite make it x

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: moggys
20-06-2006, 07:27 PM   #20

they are so cute .poor mummy cat and poor little baby and a big well done to you at least one of them is on the up