Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Tortie Chloe & Black Misty
10-02-2006, 08:38 PM   #11

Re: Dieting/Low Carbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmmaG
HDL and reduce LDL.

whats that????????

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Tortie Chloe & Black Misty
10-02-2006, 08:39 PM   #12

Summer is easy with the salads - and when you are ready then the diet will work for you.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: DSH/Siamese/Orientals
10-02-2006, 08:40 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmmaG
There have been a lot of studies into the effect of low carb eating including saturated fats one study which was done by Framingham Massachusetts, over a number of decades have found that the people with the highest intake of saturated fats had the fewest ischemic stokes (the most common kinds)
I would be interested to see this study and would have to question the viability of the results.... This goes against everything I was taught in nursing and I am not sure I could be converted to think otherwise. Saturated fats in my book are a no no

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Moggies
10-02-2006, 08:54 PM   #14

Fran, I will see if I can find an online link to the survey.

Donna HDL is cholesterol (the good kind) LDL is cholesterol (the bad kind)

You will find MASSES of results on the lowcarb friends forum where people have had these taken before they started low carbing and taken after, a lot of people have been a big increase in their HDL

See one example that I can find

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/sh...&highlight=HDL

Catsey Veteran

10-02-2006, 09:01 PM   #15

Fran also I think either one of us could find quite convincing reports to say that saturated fats are good/bad. It just depends upon who/what you believe.

I do however believe that a total natural product such a saturated fat does no harm to the body if eaten in moderation. I think some foreign countries prove that, when they eat animal fats and have a lower heart disease rate than other countries who eat processed food.

Catsey Veteran

10-02-2006, 09:19 PM   #16

I am not disputing that processed foods are not good for us. But I am struggling to convince myself that saturated fats are beneficial

I constantly drill into my children that they must eat complex carbohydrates for energy and sustinance. They are slow release energy unlike fat which is a 'quick fix' as it were..

Live and let live, however, I do respect your decision to choose a low carb diet..

Catsey Veteran

10-02-2006, 09:32 PM   #17

Fran,

You might find this interesting reading

http://www.mercola.com/2002/aug/17/saturated_fat1.htm#

Catsey Veteran

10-02-2006, 09:43 PM   #18

I find this very interesting..................

A final example, let us consider the French. Anyone who has eaten his way across France has observed that the French diet is just loaded with saturated fats in the form of butter, eggs, cheese, cream, liver, meats and rich patés. Yet the French have a lower rate of coronary heart disease than many other western countries.

In the United States, 315 of every 100,000 middle-aged men die of heart attacks each year; in France the rate is 145 per 100,000. In the Gascony region, where goose and duck liver form a staple of the diet, this rate is a remarkably low 80 per 100,000 This phenomenon has recently gained international attention as the French Paradox.

Hmmm interesting...

Catsey Veteran

10-02-2006, 09:59 PM   #19

'tis all very interesting Emma...I have to agree. But I am still not convinced.

Trouble with these type of studies - there are so many other predisposing factors to heart disease that it makes it virtually impossible to compare one person with another for purposes of a study. For example. How many of each group had a parent, grandparent or sibling die of heart disease at an age younger than 60? How many were smokers and what about salt intake or blood pressure issues? There are too many variables in my opinion for this to be a black/white study

Catsey Veteran

10-02-2006, 10:07 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran
'tis all very interesting Emma...I have to agree. But I am still not convinced.

Trouble with these type of studies - there are so many other predisposing factors to heart disease that it makes it virtually impossible to compare one person with another for purposes of a study. For example. How many of each group had a parent, grandparent or sibling die of heart disease at an age younger than 60? How many were smokers and what about salt content or blood pressure issues? There are too many variables in my opinion for this to be a black/white study
Yes I totally agree, I think we all have to follow what feels right for us. I must add although I don't believe saturated fat is as bad as the press leads us to believe, I do try and be as healthy when low carbing as possible, perhaps once a week a fry up, egg is usually cooked in olive oil, and sausages I just love in the oven A block of lard will last me over 4 months and I buy a block of butter about every two months. The only saturated fat I do tend to consume is cream.

Also when I fry I nearly always use olive oil. I now have fish once a day and protein (normally chicken) with veg in the evening.