Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Non at the moment
15-10-2006, 07:47 PM   #11

Re: Eric the Acer

Quote:
Originally Posted by logoes
I have a green acer (disectum) in a wooden half barrel, been there for years and I have to admit I do neglect it rather, but I have tried twice with the purple one in an ordinary pot and they both died, I think it is mainly just getting the watering right. I have two acer negundo in pots and they are OK but they are getting too big and will have to be planted out. But where to put them ????? Logoes
Just put them in bigger pots I have the disectum too, just a small one rescued as a "neglected leaf" but he's putting on growth.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Exotics,oriential,siamese,& Mogg...
15-10-2006, 08:48 PM   #12

Thats a real good looking Acer Kazz, like Mags,mine are not too happy looking, the tips of the leaves are a bit dry...

Catsey Veteran

15-10-2006, 09:24 PM   #13

They all have dry leaves just now Moli, the thing is the smaller they are the more you notice - wait till next year,

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 lovely boys and a beautiful girl
15-10-2006, 09:27 PM   #14

I'm green with envy at your beautiful garden. Mine is taking a lot of hard work just to get presentable (was a tip when we moved in).

Catsey Veteran

15-10-2006, 09:33 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexgirl73
I'm green with envy at your beautiful garden. Mine is taking a lot of hard work just to get presentable (was a tip when we moved in).
We welcome pictures. here really we do

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: tabby
02-11-2006, 09:34 PM   #16

Kazz, that's a magnificent specimen!

Now tell me your secret: I've been reduced to keeping all my delicate Acers in pots in a shady corner, lost too many to sun/wind-scorching, especially those with filigree type leaves likes yours.

I've still got 3 in the open ground in the sun, but they are all sturdier types with broader leaves and can take it.

Please share your secret with me, I won't tell anyone else!

Catsey Veteran

02-11-2006, 09:51 PM   #17

No secret I think its because the garden is reasonably well screened from the wind, last year the acer suffered greatly from wind damage but he came back this year fine.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: tabby
02-11-2006, 09:59 PM   #18

So it IS wind more than sun that does the damage!

I saw a programme on an acer farm and couldn't believe it: a huge meadow full of healthy baby acers with no protection. The grower said the spot was particulary non-windy and the sun did no harm. I didn't believe him.

The trouble is, experimenting, especially failed experiments, are so damned expensive with acers.

Watch out for cats sharpening their claws on those trunks! I bought that insulating stuff for central heating pipes last year to protect the trunks of mine. The old girl and her mates had had a right go at them and I had to use wound balm on them to close up the scars.

Catsey Veteran

02-11-2006, 10:21 PM   #19

No the cats always prefer the bigger tree at the back, the sun doesn't do themany harm from what I can see and I have a south facing garden but the wind they hate it but come back okay next year. Try giving them some protection such as some trellis to one side or something just to off set the wind.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Siamese and Moggies
02-11-2006, 10:42 PM   #20

Hasn't he grown!

Same name as my dad