Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
03-04-2010, 09:32 PM   #11

Re: Something wrong with Bramble

Glad she's perkier today, hope she puts some of that lost weight back on, though.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: NA
03-04-2010, 09:40 PM   #12

Bramble is a very pretty cat, i'm sorry to hear she's off colour. Like angie i thought of an over active thyroid, my cat, Tom has recently been diagnosed, he eats well, in fact was always hungry but lost weight, his breathing was also quite rapid.
Like people have said a trip to the vets would probs be a good idea.

Fondly Remembered

Cats owned: Black/Tortie/Tabby/B&W
Phil is Male
04-04-2010, 03:49 AM   #13

I'm not glossing over it but she seems OK. She's had some food just now (very late) so I'm happy to go to bed knowing that she's quite happy.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: Moggies
04-04-2010, 09:23 AM   #14

Glad she seems better Phil, do check that weight loss when you get the chance though, as when Maxi had kidney failure she was too far gone to be saved. Let us know how she gets on, she's a real beauty.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: dsh
04-04-2010, 04:21 PM   #15

I have to agree and say she needs to see a vet, many things can cause weight loss in an older cat, but one of the most common is hyperthyroid- out of 10 cats I have over 10, 6 are hyperthyroid!
Untreated this can lead to kidney failure, high blood pressure and even more seriously heart failure.
Even if it isn't this, it could be diabetes or kidney failure, all of which needs to be treated by a vet.

Fondly Remembered

Phil is Male
13-04-2010, 12:12 AM   #16

Despite perking up loads at the time of my last post - she's been around the back of the house over the last 24 hrs and I'd say she's deteriorated a lot.

Managed to get her into the house but apart from 2 or 3 laps of water and milk she's very thin and not eating.

I'll take her to my vet tomorrow afternoon and see what she says but at the risk of sounding rather callous I don't think I want to get into any heavy treatment.

She's nice and cozy lying on a jumper just now but not doing much other than tiny meows. As much as I love her we don't really see that much of her and I'd be fibbing if I said money wasn't the issue but she's such a free spirit and isn't really 'one of the family'.

Sometimes it's easier when you're prepared to do everything you can for a pet as you're guided by your vet but when you're not prepared to do everything you can - it's a far more difficult call.

Feeling a bit sad but I'll keep you posted.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
13-04-2010, 01:44 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil
Despite perking up loads at the time of my last post - she's been around the back of the house over the last 24 hrs and I'd say she's deteriorated a lot.

Managed to get her into the house but apart from 2 or 3 laps of water and milk she's very thin and not eating.

I'll take her to my vet tomorrow afternoon and see what she says but at the risk of sounding rather callous I don't think I want to get into any heavy treatment.

She's nice and cozy lying on a jumper just now but not doing much other than tiny meows. As much as I love her we don't really see that much of her and I'd be fibbing if I said money wasn't the issue but she's such a free spirit and isn't really 'one of the family'.

Sometimes it's easier when you're prepared to do everything you can for a pet as you're guided by your vet but when you're not prepared to do everything you can - it's a far more difficult call.

Feeling a bit sad but I'll keep you posted.
I'm very sad to hear that, Phil. Your cat, your decision ,,,,, but......

Fondly Remembered

Phil is Male
13-04-2010, 02:20 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandysmom
Sat up with her as long as I can...she's had a few spoons of milk and a cuddle - off to bed now whilst she's comfy.

I hate this but let's see what the morning brings.

Fondly Remembered

Phil is Male
13-04-2010, 08:34 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandysmom
HI, Phil's wife here.
No sign of Bramble this morning so guess she's off out enjoying the world which is what she loves most.
I think at the end of the day our decision will be based on Brambles quality of life.
I know some people would do anything in their power to keep an animal going for as long as possible and if that meant medication/operations or whatever they'd do it. I on the other hand will base the decision on what I feel Bramble would want- she has always been a very independent, outdoor girl, she enjoys a stroke but doesn't like to be handled, going to the vet for regular checks stresses her out loads so the thought of putting her through the trauma of multiple vet visists and possible operations etc isn't an option for her (she'd hate it and I'd hate the thought that her last days were spent doing something that would upset her so much). Giving her any sort of medication would also be traumatic for her (it's hard enough to give her wormer etc and she hates it).

We will take advice from the vet obviously, but if it is time to let her go then we'll do it in as peaceful and dignified a way as we can for her, rather than prolonging her life in a way that she would find distressing.

Bramble's life has been filled with outdoors fun, hunting, playing, sunbathing and doing all the things a cat should. Human contact has always been on her terms. To intervene too much at this stage would, in my opinion, not be what she'd want and would have a serious impact on her quality of life.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
13-04-2010, 09:18 AM   #20

Sorry I missed thios thread before. I would agree with the others about a vet check, if only to know what is wrong. Your decision to treat or not is up to you but I personally feel it's better to know what the matter is and what the options are before making such decisions.
It's not always easy to treat a cat who is as aloof as Bramble and obviously stress would play a big part to both her wellbeing annd quality of life.
All the best to Bramble xxx