Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
07-01-2007, 12:04 PM   #11

Re: Removing the litter Tray?

Lenore, have you considered getting a covered litter tray? If you don't like the thought of a litter tray indoors this is the next best thing. They are more hygienic and many of them have a carbon filter in the hood to minimize smells, they are a lot better to look at too.... you can get one at Argos for £12.99

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: Burmese
Shadowdh is Male
07-01-2007, 11:08 PM   #12

Thats where I got our covered tray, it also comes with a scoop thing... its good but doesnt stop all the smell... our boy sure does stink... sigh...

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Tortie Chloe & Black Misty
08-01-2007, 11:12 AM   #13

I have decided I want to get rid of my cats litter tray in the house. This year I am gonna do it!!

Just teaching Misty at the moment how to use a cat flap which is difficult as she has not managed it for two years now!!

Hoping by summer she will have managed to work out the way in and out and can then proceed to get the cats using the garden rather than the litter tray.

The reason I am determined to do this is that Misty often misses teh tray and if I use a covered one Chloe wont use it, and if I have two then that is two trays for Misty to miss and for Chloe not to use!!!

Its so complicated.

Global Moderator

08-01-2007, 03:24 PM   #14

Are Misty and Chloe locked in at night Donna? I just wondered if you would need to leave a litter tray down during the night for them?

Catsey Veteran

08-01-2007, 03:54 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mags
Are Misty and Chloe locked in at night Donna? I just wondered if you would need to leave a litter tray down during the night for them?
Again, they have up till now been locked in of a night, but I have been leaving the flap unlocked. Chloe comes and goes as she pleases and seems to like the convenience. Not sure she realises it is open all night tho at the moment. Both Misty and Chloe have started to get more confident in going outside and interacting with other neighbourhood cats. Chloe even chased two cats out of the garden yesterday!! Think the real nasty cat that used to come in the house has gone as not seen him for months.

If they both are happy to use the flap in/out day and night then I cant see the reason for the tray which creates more problems indoors than it is convenient.

But at the end of the day, if it is not working or the cats cant get used to the flap being open 24/7 then I will of course keep the tray.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: Moggies!
09-01-2007, 10:02 PM   #16

Lol, I have the covered litter tray (it is Newt's) third litter tray The problem is that no matter what we try he will kick litter all over the floor, which means we have to clean/disenfect the floor daily - which is fairly expensive in cat friendly disenfectants.

Both our cats have access to outside all the time, luckily we live in a very quiet area with a huge green about 300yds away - Though that said they both sleep in their beds in our room http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c1...u/DSC01336.jpg
like so. They come in when we go to bed and settle there and are always there when we get up in the am (which is not to say that they're not out hellraising in the beween time ) - they love to go out in the dark and like I say Tig has never (in the 3 years we've had him) used a tray so I would really like to wean him off it - with the minimum inconvenience to him naturally

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 lovely boys and a beautiful girl
09-01-2007, 10:48 PM   #17

What a fantastic photo!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: DSH/Siamese/Orientals
09-01-2007, 10:51 PM   #18

That is a lovely piccie indeed!

Global Moderator

09-01-2007, 10:56 PM   #19

What a brilliant photo!!

Catsey Veteran

10-01-2007, 05:26 PM   #20

Never as straight forward as you plan is it????

Been leaving the flap open 24/7 and Misty is starting to learn to use it to come in (although I was on hands and knees at 1am this morning coaxing her in holding the flap open as I had not slept as she had gone out).

Came home from work to find a strange cat in the house. My cats seemed ok, but hope it is not the one that I caught spraying over my rabbit hutches the other day.

If I want my cats to go in and out as they please how can I stop other cats coming in and why dont my cats chase them out???