Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Cats owned: Siamese
Paul G. is Male
06-10-2006, 03:48 PM   #11

Re: How do i introduce my cat...to a dog?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by knottybabe
Hi i have a 8 year old half siamese
Hello, hope I can help. I did exactly this with my 6 year old siamese about a year ago. I introduced a 4 year old female Border Collie from a rescue society. The dog had no known history and the cat was long established as the only pet in the house. Fortunately it worked, but only with very close management.
To begin I would suggest that you choose your dog carefully. Either you need one that is already tolerant towards cats ( many are not) or one that is very responsive to training.
The process is one of slow and progressive introduction. I began by keeping them in separate parts of the house, able to detect each other's scent but no more. Then I put the dog in an indoor kennel (big cage) for a few minutes several times a day and let the cat investigate. Later the dog was on a lead in a room and the cat was allowed in. The time comes when the dog is free but still under voice control. You must be able to stop it with a word if it lunges. At each stage you assess reaction and only move on when you are confident. The cat must always have an escape route.
It takes time, at least two months in my case, and effort. You can't hurry the process and you must be prepared for the possibility that it may not work.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: nnnnnn
06-10-2006, 03:52 PM   #12

hiya thanks for your reply!

that sounds exactly what i was thinking of doing!
we are hoping now to get a puppy, and the ones we have seen have all been brought up with cats, so im more worried about me cat attacking!!

i dont think he would though!

Cats owned: Siamese
Paul G. is Male
06-10-2006, 08:44 PM   #13

[quote=knottybabe;303235]hiya thanks for your reply!

so im more worried about me cat attacking!!

Yes, that could perhaps be a problem, it rather depends upon the nature of your cat. I can't claim to be an expert but I have had quite a few dogs (all Collies) and various cats over a period of 40 years and I've found that animals tend to recognise babies of any species and are more inclined to be tolerant towards them.
I used to breed dogs and there was one old moggy that liked to help to look after the pups. She would jump into the pens to lick them clean and even carry them about. The mothers never seemed to mind.
Others may not agree but I work on the assumption that cats are untrainable. You can make a few suggestions but in the end they make their own choices and do their own thing. Therefore I believe that it is the dog that must be trained to respect the cat.
Even after a year I would not say that mine are the best of friends. There is some rivalry and they often compete for attention, but we have no hostility. The cat occasionally provokes the dog but the dog has been taught not to react.
As I said, in order to make it work you need time and a lot of patience.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: 4 gorgous mogs
31-10-2006, 10:01 PM   #14

i have an older dog 14yrs old i had already had 2 cats before he came on the scene as a pup. He was really good with them from the start, but the cats used to get fed up being chased alot . anyways now being an older dog whose been spoilt rotten i did not know what to expect when i decided to have my 2 new kittens , he didnt know what to make of them at first as he had never seen one , but he soon started playing with them and he excepted them really well. then of course i got hold of another one which is younger kitten again and the same thing happened he sniffed him and played with him there a happy little family. . my dogs a border collie and they can be extremley gealous animals so i didnt really know what to expect from them all but im glad to see they all get on well . all i did was let them free and just watch but in safe distance with the kittens.
tracy

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: Tortie
31-10-2006, 10:22 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by knottybabe
Hi i have a 8 year old half siamese half tabby cat. my partner & i really want to get a german shepherd dog next year, how do we introduce them to eachother? my cat is king of the house at the moment! Thanks!

Hi Knotty! Didn't realise you had a cat also. Our cat got on really well with Roxy when we got her, although eventually Roxy got on her nerves but its difficult to handle, Making sure they are calm around eachother and giving them their own space at all times is the key here. Good luck finding you dog

Natalie
AKA DobieGirl from Dogsey

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: 2 ginger (dsh) 1 male 1 female
15-02-2007, 11:24 PM   #16

when i got a pup it was tiny so uma didnt see it as a threat so i cant really help but i have been told a cage/ creat is a good idea they can see and smell each other but cant hurt each other
ATD xxx