Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Tortie Chloe & Black Misty
24-07-2006, 01:07 PM   #11

Re: Neighbour has got a dog..

This dog WILL jump the fence. It can easily stand on its back legs and look over. It has jumped at the fence a couple of times. It races back and forth along the fence if any one is in my garden and the cats are going loopy. It is my fence so I suppose I will have to pay for a higher fence no doubt.

I am so fed up of the whole situation. I can see myself falling out with the neighbour over this.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
24-07-2006, 01:26 PM   #12

That's awful - I really feel for you. You could ask that they restrain the dog as you fear it will jump the fence and that your children are frightened. Also if it's throwing itself against it, again can you not ask for it to be restrained in case he damages your fence?

Best not bring the cats into the equation as far as conversations with the neighbour are concerned - some dog owners feel their dogs have a god-given right to chase cats

Catsey Veteran

24-07-2006, 02:05 PM   #13

Before he got the dog he said if it caused a problem with my cats he would not keep it. Now he is saying it is "here till I die".

He might raise the fence, but then again - it is my fence - I might not want a 6ft fence. But I do not get a choice. Its that or the dog gets in my garden. So soon after the incident with Sean and his friend who got attacked by a dog.

This is all doing my head in.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: 2 cats
24-07-2006, 02:45 PM   #14

You don't have to raise the fence at all the best solution would be if your neighbours put a 2ft overhang of wire fencing their side. Believe me when I say this totally stops dogs jumping over. When they jump up their heads come into contact with the wire and they are not going anywhere. It is quite simple and inexpensive to do. Also if your cats are on the fence it would stop them accidentally falling off into the neighbours garden. I have got a dog as well as two cats and the neighbourhood cats respect her territory so there are never any problems, just give it time.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: torty
John is Male
23-08-2006, 05:14 PM   #15

Why not try a lenght of trellis on top of your fence ..will give you about an extra 2ft in hieght

john

Catsey Veteran

23-08-2006, 05:21 PM   #16

Well time has moved on and the next door neighbour has added loads of trellis to MY fence. Came home from work and he had just put it up. Looks a bit of an eyesore to be honest but suppose its better than the dog getting into my garden and me worrying about it biting or scaring anyone/thing.

The cats have got to realise it is not coming into our garden at the moment so sneak out into the garden. They are still very scared and walk really low to the ground trying not to be noticed but the dog paces up and down the fence as soon as you open the back door.

The whole time I am sorting the rabbit out (which takes a fair few minutes every day) the dog is pacing up and down jumping up and hiting the fence. It has not got over yet.

Think my neighbour feels happy the dog paces so much as he doesnt need to take it out for a walk

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Exotics,oriential,siamese,& Mogg...
23-08-2006, 07:31 PM   #17

Think my neighbour feels happy the dog paces so much as he doesnt need to take it out for a walk

Thats ridiculous! why did he get a dog in the first place....If he exercised the dog it wouldn't race up and down the fence....
Hope your cats settle Donna, its horrible when everything is fine, then something like this spoils it!!

Catsey Veteran

23-08-2006, 07:46 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moli

Thats ridiculous! why did he get a dog in the first place....If he exercised the dog it wouldn't race up and down the fence....
Hope your cats settle Donna, its horrible when everything is fine, then something like this spoils it!!
Thanks Moli

The neighbour actually encourages the dog to race and up and down the path and says things like "thats your exercise for today" and "saves me going up the park" and "keep going Ben". He thinks he is enjoying being stuck in the garden. But I feel a bit uneasy with the dog constantly stalking me in the garden

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
23-08-2006, 08:40 PM   #19

What an unpleasant situation; as one who's afraid of dogs, I really sympathize with you...must be so unnerving when you're out with the rabbit having it charge the fence like that! Your poor cats! I suppose they'll eventualy get used to it, but it's not a happy time for them now. My vet said once that inapropriate defeceation/urination is a sign of stress ...hope the litter tray in the bathroom helps!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 mog
23-08-2006, 08:53 PM   #20

How ridiculous - I really can't understand why people get dogs if they can't be bothered to take them for walks. Poor dog, he must be so bored stuck in the garden.