Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Cats owned: BSH
08-11-2009, 09:51 PM   #11

Re: Feline Hip Dysplasia Testing

My vet is, as was my orthopaedic surgeon! The point is to get breeders to at least be aware of the condition as clearly at present many, many of them are not. Breeders need to talk to vets, need to understand what research is being done by groups like Pawpads and groups like FAB need to give guidelines. It is up to the people responsible for breeding to be able to answer the questions you have, not me. My aim is to stop cats suffering like mine is now - not write the guidelines on breeding. What shouldn't this be regulated anyway as it is in dogs???

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 3 cats
08-11-2009, 10:23 PM   #12

I really don't think you are understanding my point here.
I know what you are saying & I am all for health screening & regulating things, but you seem to be telling everyone that HD is in cats & we should do something about it like x-ray our cats, but then have no answers about weather there are schemes set up for this. you have posted some links with good info but they are all for cats in other countries.
Breeders will not randomly x-ray a cats hips to see how good they are if there is no measurable way of stating the results.
it's very sad that your cat has such chronic HD & I hope his operation goes well.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
08-11-2009, 10:31 PM   #13

I too was not aware that HD occurred in cats. I'm not a breeder and have never heard of a case here in the States; but it's helpful to know. Will mention it and that link to a breeder friend.

Cats owned: BSH
08-11-2009, 10:37 PM   #14

Kelly - thanks for your support - screening should happen in the UK as it does in other countries and that is what I am trying to say. Breeders need to answer these questions themselves by contacting agencies such as Pawpeds and let's get something moving in the UK. Read more and you will answer some of your own questions about how it can be detected via x-ray, how it may never be noticed in a cat, how neutering can bring on the symptoms. Please take this positively and encourage breeders to make them more aware of the options. For me your interest keeps this thread alive so thank you!

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: cross breed
13-11-2009, 03:52 PM   #15

I am naturally interested in this thread as my kitty henrietta has severe Hip Dysplasia she was a rescue from some neighbour,s who keep a large number of un-neutered cats living together and allow them to breed my little girl is the result of her dad mating with her half sister so she is inbred (I have twice reported this family to RSPCA but they have done nothing)
Hetty was able to walk when i recued her but she suffered an injury (her sister jumped on her back as she was coming downstairs)which left her dragging her back legs she is now able to walk again although she is very stiff and can,t get far she has been X-rayed and her hip and knee joints are out of their sockets she was supposed to be having her femorral heads removed and her knees pinned but the vet decided that he could not operate on her so we are back to square one
I promised that i would not put her through any more vets trips as we have been to three different vets now she hates going and gets really upset
My vets now are looking at her X-rays to see if they can help her plus Celia Hammond has said that her vet will try to treat her so we havn't given up yet
It is a sad condition for my hetty as she would love to be able to play with her sisters
I have been told that it is genetic too in hetties case i think the cause was her being inbred worse i have heard that this family have more kittens i just hope that none have hip dysplasia

Cats owned: maine coon and a moggy
20-06-2010, 02:51 PM   #16

Hi, i have just joined and been reading through all the threads when came across this one. My cat has just been diagnoised with HD. She is an 11 year old Manie Coon and seemingly it is quite common in this breed. She is doing well at the minute but very likley to be on meds for the rest of her life but at the moment she seems to be pain free.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: 2 DSH and a Siamese
21-06-2010, 05:08 AM   #17

My moggie Mocha had unilateral HD. We found out when she blew out her ACL in her knee (from running wonky trying to protect her hip that I had no idea was even hurting her) Had to have an OFA and Cruciate repair on the same leg, but was fine afterwards. No idea of Mocha's breeding, she was a stray.