Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: 1 siamese (RIP)1 black cat &1 tabby
12-07-2009, 08:49 PM   #11

Re: Why do people not like black cats?

i have a black cat called coral used 2 have1 years ago called jet but this time my mum wanted a tabby but i wanted the black 1 & i got my way black cats are soooo cute

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Siamese and Moggies
12-07-2009, 09:53 PM   #12

I have had many colours but had mostly black cats and have 3 atm. I love black cats, like wee panthers.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: cross breed
12-07-2009, 10:15 PM   #13

Great to know that so many forum members ar black cats fans too!
I now have the two new black kittens plus two black/white one grey/white and my old lady is a tabby
The little girl kit Rosie was with her mum and siblings but the little boy Oscar who was in the same pen was found wandering in the street having been thrown out by someone unknown How could anyone be so heartless as to throw out a little kitten to fend for himelf
I think maybe people think of witches when they see a black cat
I just wish that all the cats that i saw could find good homes there was one there a huge long haired black boy who was feral that i keep thinking about how long will it be before he is offered a home
I will make sure that my two will never want for anything they will be spoiled rotten

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
12-07-2009, 10:16 PM   #14

Yes, I too love black cats. We adopted our old ex-stray Ferdy who was solid black. I would love one day to have an all-black persian but as I won't now buy a kitten I'll have to wait until a rescue one comes along
But it is a fact that the black ones are the hardest to rehome. My CP branch always seems to have some solid black ones available . . . and I do think it's the occult associations that put them off. Shame really.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Siamese and Moggies
12-07-2009, 10:18 PM   #15

I don't think its just the superstitious side of things, although it surely plays a part, but people will always opt for the 'prettier' looking cat, it's the same with dogs, the plain black mongrel often has the longest wait.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: All black and white and tortie's
12-07-2009, 11:02 PM   #16

I love black cats. it is a shame they do get overlooked.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Maine Coons
13-07-2009, 08:39 AM   #17

Black cats are soooooo sweet

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 blue-eyed moggies
13-07-2009, 11:58 AM   #18

We've had black cats before and they were great hunters! Nearly all the headless mice in our lives were brought home by them. We found the blacks more active, less home-lovers than their coloured counterparts, more adventurous. As a result they always looked stunningly athletic with well-tuned muscles, no sagging tums,and because they were in such good condition their coats shone like black diamonds! Gorgeous girls!

I've never understood the bad luck association with black cats as we also refer to "lucky black cats" don't we?

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: 2 moggies = DLH and DMH
13-07-2009, 01:24 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by angieh
I suppose it's down to the old superstition, but I can't believe it. I think that people just want a "prettily marked" cat.

I have never had an all black cat - my Smudge was b&w, but I am not anti-black cats. I did actually hear the same thing from a friend who adopted two litter mates from a rescue, one b&w and the other black.

Strangely, an aunt who loved cats had an aversion to all white cats and would not go anywhere she knew there was one!!!
i love black cats... had one called c-for many years ago... he was a very affectionate little guy...
funny what you say about white cats... one of my friends has had white cats in the past and he swears that they are loopy... he says that every single white one he has had has been a total idiot... (lovable idiots of course... but idiots none the less)

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: B&W Semi-Long Hair Moggy
Darky is Male
15-07-2009, 06:11 PM   #20

I adore black cats, although black and white cats are my favourite. In some cultures they are considered lucky, and I think they're the most mysterious and pretty cats.

My Nan used to have a sweet, very shy black cat called Tiny who was wonderful - so pretty.