Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Exotics,oriential,siamese,& Mogg...
18-03-2007, 08:29 PM   #11

Re: Do cats need cat company?

Think it depends of the cat, Oliver and Casper are joined at the hip, not happy apart, but Merlin, Leo and Chancer prefer to be on their own...

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
18-03-2007, 09:07 PM   #12

I'm definitely in the "it depends on the cat" school of opinion. I always had just a single cat until Misty, the little stray came. She bonded with the Aby, and very much missed him when he had to be PTS...went looking for him. She disliked Patches, but again bonded with Dandy my little Pura. After Patches died, Leia seems to be delighted at being an only cat, getting all the attention, lap time, etc! In my limited experience, introducing another adult female to the resident adult female didn't work out very well....

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: 2 DSH and a Siamese
18-03-2007, 11:48 PM   #13

I think it depends on the cat. I have one that would rather be an only cat, one that can't stand to be separated from the other cats, and one that could take it or leave it.

Generally speaking, my cats have always done better in pairs.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: 2 cats
19-03-2007, 12:53 PM   #14

I think on the whole cats are very solitary creatures. My Rosie definitely was. I had concerns when I got little Alfie but strangely enough it seems to have brought Rosie out of herself. She seems friendlier now and although she definitely would not allow Alfie to cuddle up to her you do see them sleeping and hanging out together a lot of the time.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
19-03-2007, 01:45 PM   #15

Sorry to be boring - but it depends on the cat and the circumstances. Cat's brought up together seem to 'love' each other and grive when one goes etc. Adult cats usually accept a new kitten coming into the household but 2 adults won't necessarily get on.
I don't think cats 'need' company, generally.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
19-03-2007, 03:41 PM   #16

http://www.perfectpaws.com/help2.html
Thought this was interesting.