Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
20-08-2009, 04:31 PM   #11

Re: Are cats solitary or social or perhaps both?

Quote:
Originally Posted by farthing
i think cats are more social than we think, and in a 'feral' society you have entire animals, living with offspring and siblings, and there is an estabilised heirarchy.

We take in cats, neuter then ( rightly so) and add 'strangers' to the group every so often, which is where I think the problems start and we then think they are solitary.
By my way of thinking a truely solitary animal would not relate to humans as part of their family and show affection in the way that they do.
I would agree with that Louise.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 mog
20-08-2009, 05:37 PM   #12

Hi and welcome to Catsey.

I have 4 cats and they are all pretty much independent of each other and solitary, although at times do spend time together. Apart from a tabbie and tortie I had who were in love! lol - my personal experience is that cats are generally solitary animals.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: 1x Sphynx, 2x DLH, 5x DSH
20-08-2009, 07:08 PM   #13

Well..... As i have mentioned before I believe my Fab Feline Tribe work so well, even though they are from different areas, backgrounds & age brackets because i have the most fabulous Dominant Male .... RigbyBigBear with no willie there! I think it works if the heirachy works... SashaBella Psychohussey & Evil Wheebobalina tand to be solitary & only want mums attention... the boys are just boys!!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 mog
20-08-2009, 08:23 PM   #14

Just to clarify, my cats all love and crave human affection and company, but I feel they do not need other feline company.

Cats owned: non pedigree
nomadicbry is Male
21-08-2009, 01:12 PM   #15

Cheers guys quite intersting replies.
The last cat has nowbeen taken so we wont be having it and our kittie will be on it's own. however I'm about to fit a cat flap so it'll be able to come and go as it pleases.

What was interesting is that my partner's mother had two cats who pretty much avoided and had no time at all for each other. i think one was pretty dominant over the other but they were a bit strange to be honest. My firend on the other hand has more than a few who are all very social. What really suprised me was when one of the cat's offspring came back 4 months later (owners went on holiday) the mother instantly started to suckle her again and care for her... quite amazing thing to see.

Anyway cheers for the responses and I'll try and post a pick soon

Cheers,
B