Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: NA
04-02-2007, 09:55 PM   #11

Re: diabetic?

I have been diabetic for 4 years now, almost 5. was diagnosed at 25. Runs in my family, type 2. I was on tablets, but since sept have lost almost 3 stone, and am now diet controlled. It can make you feel very tired and worn out. BUt if youre carefull and follow a sensible diet it helps a lot.

I expect your parents will find it challenging at first to make all the diet changes, it isnt easy. My diabeties doesnt stop me doing anything I want to do. Apart from pigging out on choccuies n ice cream!

hope youre parents get on ok.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 3 cats
04-02-2007, 09:56 PM   #12

Thanks CJ.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 10 cats (stray stayed) 3 sleeping x
04-02-2007, 10:00 PM   #13

Yes, my partner is a Diabetic has been for 18 years, controlled by Insulin x

Catsey Veteran

04-02-2007, 10:01 PM   #14

So does anyone know why some people need insulin injections & some people tablets & some just diet controlled?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: DSH/Siamese/Orientals
04-02-2007, 10:07 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by smudgley
So does anyone know why some people need insulin injections & some people tablets & some just diet controlled?
There are 2 types of is sort of Diabetes Smudgley. Jeuvenile onset diabetes tends to be insulin controlled. Late onset diabetes as in the case of your parents is generally less severe and usually controlled with either diet or with diet and tablets although in extreme cases insulin may be necessary in late onset too but more rarely. Diabetes is quite a complicated subject and it would be a very lengthy post trying to explain the differences between jeuvenile and late onset diabetes and why they are managed differently.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: DSH/Siamese/Orientals
04-02-2007, 10:11 PM   #16

Basically, in jeuvenile onset diabetes the body does not produce any insulin at all hence needing insulin injections. In the case of late onset diabetes, it is just a 'wearing out' of the organ which produces insulin so some insulin is still being produced and in mild cases this can be controlled with diet, in more severe cases, tablets help and in very more rare cases insulin will be necessary

Catsey Veteran

04-02-2007, 10:52 PM   #17

thankyou fran, that's very helpful.
Dad is worse than Mom, although both are doing well & the BS levels are coming down.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: NA
10-02-2007, 12:12 AM   #18

how are your mum and dad getting on??? just wondering as it can be quite a shock to discover youre a diabetic

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
10-02-2007, 12:42 AM   #19

I worked for almost 4 years in a group of endicrinologists,the majority of whose patients were diabetic, and it's far too complicated to go into on a post like this...diet, regular blood sugar testing, pills vs. injections, excercise, dietary changes. etc. There are many support groups on line that can be helpful, and of course their Doctor or the nurses can advise them the best/ Good luck to them, Smudgley!

Catsey Veteran

10-02-2007, 09:56 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJK
how are your mum and dad getting on??? just wondering as it can be quite a shock to discover youre a diabetic
They seem to be coping just fine.
They are both on tablets twice a day & have had to change their eating pattern completely, which they seem to have done very easily. Their BS levels are slowly coming down & they both feel better & have more energy. So at the mo it seems all good.