Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Ragdoll, 2 Siamese & a Balinese
22-08-2007, 03:32 PM   #11

Re: Donna....................

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna
Yes, have tried that option too, as I sellotape the magnet catch down so it is immobilised. But Misty still doesnt realise she can get in and sits looking at me through the flap She really is short on brains!!!

Worry about all the other cats coming in too as there are HUNDREDS around here!
Oh dear.

I suppose if Misty has had a bad experience trying to get in (maybe she ran for the flap once and it didn't open because the magnet wasn't in the right place and she banged her face/head (or something like that!!)) it will have put her off trying again.

It's a learned behaviour, like with children. If you could keep the magnet immobilised and teach her that it's okay and safe for her to come in through the flap, she might learn that it's not painful/difficult and start doing it.

It's worth a try?!

As for Chloe - how about a hooded tray but without the flap? Then it wouldn't contain the smell of Misty so much and put her off going in there. Or get a new hooded tray that doesn't smell at all - so she has no excuse!?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Tortie Chloe & Black Misty
22-08-2007, 03:38 PM   #12

OK Charlie.... will try the cat flap with no magnet again.... will put her outside and push her through - she is a big cat compared to Chloe so hope its not the size of the flap that is a problem for her - although she does go out of it ok.

So ladies... if the magnet is immobilised then the house is open to ALL cats.... should I let that happen day or night, or just daytime???

Catsey Veteran

22-08-2007, 03:43 PM   #13

I would say - just whilst you are at home to supervise (at least initially). If they see another cat coming into their home whilst you're not there that might stress them both out and cause more problems

If Misty can get the hang of coming into the house through the catflap without any problems, then in a few days you could put the magnet back on and hopefully she'll still come in. Fingers crossed!!

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
22-08-2007, 03:43 PM   #14

Quote:
OK Charlie.... will try the cat flap with no magnet again.... will put her outside and push her through - she is a big cat compared to Chloe so hope its not the size of the flap that is a problem for her - although she does go out of it ok.

So ladies... if the magnet is immobilised then the house is open to ALL cats.... should I let that happen day or night, or just daytime???
I would definitley close it at night Donna...

Catsey Veteran

22-08-2007, 03:51 PM   #15

Just one more question....

If it is closed at night, then Chloe hasnt got access to outside of an evening so cannot get rid of the litter trays at all still....

which was the aim!

So how would that work with my long term plans?

Global Moderator

22-08-2007, 03:54 PM   #16

Ah.. that's a bit awkward then Cassie has access outdoors during the day but I always lock her in at night......and she has a litter tray for that purpose.

We'll have to rethink again!!

Catsey Veteran

22-08-2007, 03:55 PM   #17

I really cant work out this problem..... it is too complicated!!!!

Global Moderator

22-08-2007, 03:59 PM   #18

I take it your cat flap is in your back door Donna? Why not leave the flap unlocked so that Chloe can go out if she needs to but keep your kitchen door shut at night so that they both stay in the kitchen? Obviously you would need to get Misty trained to use the flap both ways if you wanted to get rid of the litter trays....

Catsey Veteran

22-08-2007, 04:05 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mags
I take it your cat flap is in your back door Donna? Why not leave the flap unlocked so that Chloe can go out if she needs to but keep your kitchen door shut at night so that they both stay in the kitchen? Obviously you would need to get Misty trained to use the flap both ways if you wanted to get rid of the litter trays....

Flap is in a hole in the wall in the kitchen which in itself might be the problem with Misty.

It is about one and a half feet from front to end, so its more like a tunnel than a flap Its a long way to the other side when you in a tiny hole (but Chloe manages fine and so do all the local cats).

I could leave them in the kitchen but worry about them both being in a small room together all night with no escape from each other!!

But could give that a go - flap open and not magnetic. Cats in kitchen area with litter trays and food/water overnight.

What if another cat got in and terrorised them all night?? They in a small room with the strange cat

Dont mean to keep putting obstacles in the way, but just thinking aloud!

Catsey Veteran

22-08-2007, 04:37 PM   #20

Quote:
Just one more question....

If it is closed at night, then Chloe hasnt got access to outside of an evening so cannot get rid of the litter trays at all still....

which was the aim!

So how would that work with my long term plans?
But Chloe can get in and out with the magnet being on!?!?! It's only Misty that can't...............isn't it!?!?

Why do you need to get rid of the litter trays altogether? Personally, I think that your problems with Chloe peeing on the carpet are likely to re-occur if you get rid of the litter trays. Could you not keep them??