Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Two Tabby Girls
16-05-2011, 07:28 PM   #11

Re: I have found some feral kittens.....

maybe try following Mum from a distance just to get an idea of general directon. Good luck

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: Fabulous moggies!
16-05-2011, 09:24 PM   #12

Thanks everyone for your replies. I haven't seen mum or babies since my first post I will continue searching x

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
16-05-2011, 09:38 PM   #13

I sometimes think they have ESP ... she suspected what you were up to!

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: Fabulous moggies!
18-05-2011, 03:11 PM   #14

I think you are right! She came in yesterday, she is such a little minx, she just wanders in brazenly, rolls around all over the catnip toys and looks adorable but will not allow me near enough to even stroke or touch her. She comes and goes but I have not seen her little ones. I fear she may have deserted them somewhere.... I have been on a number of walk arounds looking under all the shrubs and bushes but not seen the little poppets.... will keep looking!

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: Rescue centre - currently LOTS
18-05-2011, 05:31 PM   #15

Feral kittens over the age of about 12 weeks old are very difficult to tame. Even if you can’t catch the mother, you should try to get the kittens as young as possible. They can learn to lap from about 4 weeks old if necessary.
See if your local vet, Cats protection, or rescue centre can lend you a feral cat trap for the mother. If you can get mother and kittens together, you can keep them together in a dog crate or similar, until they are 6-8 weeks old. Then separate them from mum – perhaps into another dog crate, where they can still see each other. Handle the kittens a lot every day. Just feed mum and provide a litter tray – don’t try to touch her. Spay mum as soon as her milk has dried up. Ask the vet to “ear-tip” the mother so that other rescue organisations will know she has been spayed.
We ask our vet to check the cats teeth and ears at the time of spaying, as there will be no chance of doing this at a future time.
When she is recovered from her spaying, release her back where she came from, if it is safe to do so.
Keep handling the kittens daily. Worm them, de-flea them, and get them vaccinated ready for rehoming as pets.