Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Moggies
04-07-2007, 11:30 PM   #131

Re: Starting low carb eating again, anybody want to join me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mags
Smudgley, I lo-carbed two years ago.....started in January and by August had lost one and a half stone. It really does work, in fact it's the only diet that ever worked for me! I have to get the motivation to start again and following this thread I may try!!
Come on Mags, what have you got to lose by joining in

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
04-07-2007, 11:32 PM   #132

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmmaG
Come on Mags, what have you got to lose by joining in
Weight!!!

Catsey Veteran

04-07-2007, 11:33 PM   #133

Smudgley, do you ever feel tired about 4pm, like you have got no energy at all???? I know Donna and me both felt this way before we first started low carbing.

Perhaps Donna can tell us the difference low carbing has on the way she feels, my energy levels certainly have started to get better. Once I am fully low carbing for a couple of weeks before I have worken up at 4am and wanted to clean the house from top to bottom!!! (and no my house isn't that dirty!! ) The energy levels are just incredible

Catsey Veteran

04-07-2007, 11:33 PM   #134

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mags
Weight!!!

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
04-07-2007, 11:33 PM   #135

Are you eating any fruit at all Emma? I have apples, strawberries and grapes every day...........I would really miss that now...

Catsey Veteran

04-07-2007, 11:36 PM   #136

I had some strawberries at the weekend Mags, generally I don't eat much fruit until I want to start slowing down the weight loss, then I eat raspberries, strawberries (with loads of cream!!) all of the "berry" type fruit, oh and rhubarb - just love the stuff!!! I do find that just for a couple of weeks I can forgo the fruit to kick start the weight loss

Catsey Veteran

04-07-2007, 11:37 PM   #137

Forgot to mention you can have a small amount of lemon or lime juice. (Lemon chicken perhaps??, or use it in a dressing for a salad)

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: DSH/Siamese/Orientals
04-07-2007, 11:39 PM   #138

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmmaG
Smudgley, do you ever feel tired about 4pm, like you have got no energy at all???? I know Donna and me both felt this way before we first started low carbing.

Perhaps Donna can tell us the difference low carbing has on the way she feels, my energy levels certainly have started to get better. Once I am fully low carbing for a couple of weeks before I have worken up at 4am and wanted to clean the house from top to bottom!!! (and no my house isn't that dirty!! ) The energy levels are just incredible

Emma,can you explain the scientifics behind this as it goes against everything I was taught during my training and every bit of advice I gave my patients. Carbohydrates are the energy giving foods???? I am not disputing you just interested to know the logic behind it that's all

Catsey Veteran

04-07-2007, 11:50 PM   #139

Yes carbohydrates are energy given foods, but people who are overweight normally are because they are eating processed food, not healthy carbs. Low carbing (read low not no) makes the body use it's own stored fat as fuel, by restricting the intake of carbs it forces the body to use stored fat.

To go into the scientifics behind why it works you would really have to read one of the good low carb books, it would take me hours to type out why it works.

But think of animals in the wild, they eat little carbs, eat a lot of fat and meat (protein) and are lean and (generally) healthy, they have energy to exercise for their food, and even carnivores that do not have to put a lot of energy into obtaining their food are not fat, now compare this to us humans who as a nation are generally lazy and overweight. I really believe that eating fat doesn't make you fat, look at any carnivore in nature and none of them are fat like we are. We even see this if we feed our pets rubbish food or human processed food, they get lazy and fat, if I feed my cats high carb foods that is what they would crave. Our bodies cannot cope with processed food.

I am not expecting anybody to agree with my views or the views of low carbers, but when you read about it, it really does makes sense.

I would also like to point out that this is LOW carbing I am not talking about eating no carbs at all, the idea about low carbing is to lose the weight and then reintroduce more good carbs back into the way that you eat

Catsey Veteran

04-07-2007, 11:56 PM   #140

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran
Emma,can you explain the scientifics behind this as it goes against everything I was taught during my training and every bit of advice I gave my patients. Carbohydrates are the energy giving foods???? I am not disputing you just interested to know the logic behind it that's all
When I read about dieters doing low calorie/low fat, most of them are starving hungry (not all but some) surely if their diet was so good for them their body would be satisfied with the food it was given. With low carb most people find that they have little or no cravings. Now personally I would prefer to listen to why my body is telling me rather than anybody else. I do not feel hungry, I have tones of energy, even now at nearly 12 o'clock I feel as if I could run a marathon, I bet not many low calorie/low fat dieters would say that!!