PDA

View Full Version : Arthritis in cats

Kazz
29-09-2005, 09:46 PM
Arthritis in cats
Has anyone had a cat who has suffered with arthritis? and do you have any "suggestions" for easing their
discomfort and stiffness? I believe in my cats case it is due to old age - as it has only come to the fore in the last few months and is getting worse - slowly but you can see the stiffness when getting up, but still allows us/me to groom - so not too uncomfortable I imagine.
Karen

Mags
29-09-2005, 09:56 PM
Sorry can't help you Kazz....does your vet suggest anything?

smudgley
29-09-2005, 10:01 PM
Not so sure about cats - but for dogs - essential fatty acid supplements are good & help ease stiffness. IE cod liver oil/oil of evening primrose. (check with your vet as I don't know if they are ok for cats or have the same effect)

What about a homeopathic remedy Kazz? I've never really thought much of them until the last couple of years when I tried a remedy on a dog who was travel sick, I couldn't believe it & then tried different remedies with dogs for different problems. -- I'm not a great believer in that sort of thing but if they don't work it's one hell of a coinsidence each time :wink:

:-D

Fran
29-09-2005, 10:02 PM
We use Synoquin supplement for our horse which is a glucosamine and chondroitin supplement. i know it is licensed for dogs but not sure about cats :? Have you thought of trying something homeopathic Kazz?

smudgley
29-09-2005, 10:03 PM
SNAP :-D

Fran
29-09-2005, 10:06 PM
:-D I too was a doubting Thomas where homeopathy was concerned until Tikka had teriible morning sickness whilst in whelp and was losing weight. I used a homeopathic remedy and her nausea and vomitingcleared up almost over night :shock:

smudgley
29-09-2005, 10:14 PM
Yes I've seen fantastic results with it. The dog who was travel sick was awful, she'd drool, shake & generally be very uncomfortable. Would vomit on occasions. I asked a collegue (who is really into homeopathic stuff) what he recommended & he got me some. (can't even remember what it is called)
a tiny pot of white pills I thought - how on earth is a pill smaller than a pin head going to stop this poor dog from getting so upset in the car? But I went & did a home visit (with my stupid pot of pills :oops: ) & advised on how best to introduce her to the car journeys & use the tablets. (short journeys to fun places, you know the sort of thing) The very next day - she came into season, therefore in the car for a 30 minuite journey. She popped a pill & off they went on their car journey.

No drooling / no shaking / no vomitting / not even uncomfortable or worried.

Now I find that so hard to understand how a "little white pill" can do that, but it did & to this day - she is fine.

Kazz
29-09-2005, 10:18 PM
This board is getting spooky. Smudgley suggests homeopathic remedies PK does the same thing and believe it or believe it not I was going to add to the bottom of my post - any homeopathic suggestions?

We are going to the vets tomorrow - thing is tablets would not be easy as Oscar does not like them - if it is something that adds to the water and you can taste it - then I do not want him to stop drinking due to his kidney problems :roll: but I will see what the vet says a trip every month or six weeks or so to the vets for a jab may be the easiest and least stressful option.

Less stressful than a nightly battle for a tablet he is okay for a week or so but anymore and he dislikes it.

Not easy is it,

Karen

Fran
29-09-2005, 10:20 PM
The remedy I got for Tikka was a liquid with a dropper. You put the drops on the dogs nose or a mucous membrane. It was like a magic potion :lol: I was really impressed. If I stopped using it the nausea and vomiting returned so it was obviously the remedy that worked and not coincidence :-)

Kazz
29-09-2005, 10:23 PM
Thanks for that I will fin out, thanks Karen

smudgley
29-09-2005, 10:23 PM
[quote="Kazz"]This board is getting spooky. Smudgley suggests homeopathic remedies PK does the same thing and believe it or believe it not I was going to add to the bottom of my post - any homeopathic suggestions?

It is a bit spooky tonight Kazz -

Me & Pk
1-both suggested homeopathic stuff
2-both suggested oil (glucosamine / essential fatty acid)
3- we both said they were ok for dogs - but we don't know about cats

weird or what?

Fran
29-09-2005, 10:24 PM
:shock:

smudgley
29-09-2005, 10:28 PM
the tablets are so teeny weeny you can hardly see them & you are supposed to pop them on the tongue (without touching them) :roll: and they kind of discintigrate (sp)/ dissapear which is another reason why I didn't beleive they'd work - they are a bit like feeding dust / thin air - there's nothing to 'em - but they are magic.

Or you can get the liquid ones which again you just pop on the tongue (as PK said)

Moli
29-09-2005, 10:28 PM
You two were not seperated at birth were you???

Kazz
29-09-2005, 10:29 PM
Twilight zone next thing you know Smudgley will have two cats turn up called Mulder and Scully. :wink:

Thanks Ladies all I need now is some one who does all this homeopathic stuff.

Karen

smudgley
29-09-2005, 10:30 PM
:-D

Kazz
29-09-2005, 10:31 PM
Don;t laugh too loud Smudgley I just saw a flying saucer going your way :wink:

smudgley
29-09-2005, 10:35 PM
well I can ask Mr. Homeopathic man for you if you like Kazz what he would suggest?
Oh yes another classic example - a dog I know had severe seperation anxiety - a very good girl when people are around - but the minuite she's left - she would chew anything she could get her paws on - she was not a youngster either.
Mr. homeopathic man suggested :smt017 (can't remember what) but she started popping the pills & she's ok now when left. Honest :shock: I find it hard to believe / understand but hey - if it works I'm all for it, the good thing is , they are harmless & hardly cost anything, so you have got nothing to loose. 8)

Fran
29-09-2005, 10:40 PM
Who do you use Smudgley? I use Homeopet in Somerset

Kazz
29-09-2005, 10:41 PM
The cost would not bother me - I'd pay whatever for him - for any of them as long as I had it.

Thanks Smudgley he is 23 this year next month actually and is in good health eating, drinking, sleeping going out occasionally. He talks all the while can go up and down stairs but finds it difficult to get onto the sofa or beds without using the stools placed by them :roll: first.

He has chronic renal failure - which is common in olde cats but he is in good health and on no special diet for it - he hated it.

Karen

smudgley
29-09-2005, 10:47 PM
OK Kazz - I'll ask Dave & let you know.

PK - Dave usually gets them for me - no idea where from? they are in a brown bottle? I have bought things from dorwest herbs who are very good.

Actually Kazz - :idea: if you do a search for dorwest Herbs -- they do a really useful booklet all about their products & what they are used for - Not sure if it's all on their website - but they will send you a copy.

Kazz
29-09-2005, 10:48 PM
Oh Ta.

Karen

Fran
29-10-2005, 02:31 PM
Hi Kazz.....don't know if you read my thread 'falling over'? but was just wondering does Oscar show any signs such as falling over or stumbling due to his arthritis? sorry just trying to get my head around what is wrong with her... Thanks Kazz x

Kazz
29-10-2005, 06:11 PM
Hi PK I will go look at your thread now,:)

Karen