PDA

View Full Version : Help - hand rearing kittens

fletch1973
28-09-2005, 05:27 PM
Advice needed please! We are currently trying to hand rear 4 x 4 day old kittens which have been abandoned. We are keeping them warm using a hot water bottle and feeding them on Cimicat every two hours but they are reluctant to suckle so I'm dripping formula into their mouths using a syringe. We have a small bottle with a teat but they won't suckle on it. Any ideas anyone?

Claire

Jac
28-09-2005, 05:38 PM
Sorry i wish I could help. I'm sure someone here will come up with good advise.

Mags
28-09-2005, 05:42 PM
I have no experience of hand rearing kittens I'm afraid Claire but I'm sure there will be someone on here to give you some advice. They sound little cuties....well done to you for taking such care with them..

bobbie3917
28-09-2005, 07:24 PM
have you tried tude feeding them??

Fran
28-09-2005, 07:36 PM
I was going to suggest tube feeding Nat, but it is daunting unless you know what to do and have the right equipment...If Claire has no experience of tube feeding she would need someone to show her how to do it. Sam would be the best person to offer advice but I don't think she has been around much lately :?

Mags
28-09-2005, 08:31 PM
Yes Sam would be the ideal person to help you as she has hand reared many of her kittens. I hope she sees this post...

smudgley
28-09-2005, 09:15 PM
Sorry I can't advise on hand rearing kittens. I've never done it, but I do know lots of people who have successfully done it. :-)

I have however handreared puppies. I guess the principle is the same except I would think puppies are easier than kittens to rear.

A big part of it depends how strong the little ones are. EG I work with puppies - with breeds where average birthweight is about 1LB. But I always say I'd rather have a strong 9oz pup than a weak 12oz pup. If they are strong & will suckle that's half your problem solved.

Today I fostered 5 puppies from one bitch to another, but I chose the strongest ones as they are better able to cope with the transition.

Sorry for waffling - but my point is that your babies need to be strong to stand a chance. Make sure they are not dehydrated by pinching their scruff - the hair should fall back down quickly - if it doesn't or if it is stiff they are dehydrated & will need rehydration fluid ASAP.

Hope that helps.

PS - not sure how long you've had these babies - but if it's very new ie if they only came to you today - so they are new to the bottle, then if it's any consalation pups often won't take to the bottle straight away & it usually takes a couple of goes for them to get the idea.

smudgley
28-09-2005, 09:25 PM
PS - Just a thought :idea:
-. It may be worth contacting some cat rescue people nearby - they may be able to help if they have a new mom with a small litter. I know we have helped out (I am a cats protection fosterer) in the past when a new mom was run over & killed in a RTA.

Fran
28-09-2005, 09:42 PM
That's a good idea Smudgley!

smudgley
28-09-2005, 09:57 PM
:smt058

fletch1973
29-09-2005, 12:02 PM
Thanks for your help everyone. The kiitens still wont suckle on the bottle but are feeding quite well with the syringe method, eliminating fine and aren't dehydrated. They seem to be fighters, as they move around quite well and miaow lots when they are hungry!! Will try the local rescues to see if they have any lactating queens. Any other tips very welcome!

Claire

Jac
29-09-2005, 12:10 PM
glad they are little fighters! anychance of a photo. cant help myself, just love babies :lol:

Fran
29-09-2005, 12:19 PM
oooh yes I could do with a kittten 'fix' too Jac :-D

smudgley
29-09-2005, 04:58 PM
Sounds like they are doing ok Claire, if they are strong & wriggling around and taking milk from the syringe - then they must be contented :cat27

Mags
29-09-2005, 05:24 PM
Sounds like you are doing a good job there Claire.....

shonedek
29-09-2005, 07:25 PM
dont know how old they are but i always start my handrears on pipetts then when they are about 2 weeks they go onto a bottle,some maybe slightly earlier.Most important with any baby is to keep them going to the toilet and wipe faces after fed.Any question please just ask :)
Ive reared one or two by hand myself

Mags
29-09-2005, 07:27 PM
I knew you would come to the rescue Sam :-D

shonedek
29-09-2005, 07:45 PM
well ive reared my fair share of kittens over the years so always happy to help

Fran
29-09-2005, 08:17 PM
Hi Sam, hope you ok....we have missed you here :-)

shonedek
29-09-2005, 09:35 PM
im very well,just getting organised (you know) never a dull moment,been so busy

fletch1973
30-09-2005, 09:07 AM
Unfortunately, one of the kittens developed severe diarhorea and they all were reluctant to eat this afternoon. The vet checked them over and diagnosed panoleukamia (sp) so we decided they should go to the Bridge. Sleep tight little ones :smt022

Thank you all for your advice.

Claire

Fran
30-09-2005, 09:20 AM
Oh Claire, I am so sorry...how awful for you :cry: Poor little kittties :cry:

RIP little ones.....

Mags
30-09-2005, 09:21 AM
Oh so sorry to hear that Claire, the poor little ones didn't really stand a chance did they :( You did your best for them though....
Sleep well little ones :cry:

smudgley
30-09-2005, 09:36 AM
Oh what a shame Claire. :cry:
You have done the right thing & there was nothing else you could do - that is an extremely nasty virus.