PDA

View Full Version : My poor Daisy!

Abbi
15-09-2005, 10:39 AM
Oh dear what a drama!

WEll.... I have been at home for the last two days - been off sick. Yesterday monring I let Daisy out, she was in the back garden in her usual spot, I looked out about midday and noticed that she was rubbing her bottom on the grass, didn't think much of it, anyway about 7pm I thought I would see if she wanted to come in, so went outside to call her and she was really not herself, she was dragging her behind and legs behind her. She came to me and I lifted up her tail, and she had poo all around her rear end, she has long hair and it was EVERYWHERE - AND she had flies all around her behind too - I knew this was a very bad sign and she was in distress.

I phoned the emergency vet and they said to take her straight over. When I got there he examined her and said that she had Fly Strike which can be fatal if not caught in time. We have caught it in time and she has has to have a lot of her fur shaved off and has had pain killers, anti infalmatories and antibiotics.

I have to phone the vet today at 12 to see if I can collect her tonight - she has had about 75% of her fur shaved off :O( but she seems to be ok which is the main thing.

I can't wait to get the little baby home and give her some TLC - dont think she will be going out for some time with no fur I am sure that she will be a little cold!

Abbi

Fran
15-09-2005, 06:30 PM
Awww bless her Abbi, I hope by this time now she is back home with you for lots of tlc :-) What is fly strike exactly?

How are you feeling yourself now?

Moli
15-09-2005, 07:26 PM
Poor baby, hope she is feeling better now...Heard of fly strike, but never seen it...

Kazz
15-09-2005, 07:27 PM
What a good job you were there. I am pleased she is on the mend but can I also ask whats fly strike?

Karen

Abbi
15-09-2005, 08:19 PM
ok this is the science bit - not nice ladies so beware!

Daisy is long haired, and a little matted around her rear end, she had a poo the poo got stuck to her - the flies were attracted to her rear end, they lay eggs the eggs hatch into maggots within 12 hours and eat the animal from the inside out - will be fatal if not treated! Its gross, but luckly I caught because any of the eggs were hatched.

I collected her from the vet this evening at 6pm, she is looking VERY sorry for herself, she has been shaved from the shoulders down so is look looking very pretty - she looks like a bit like a lion with a main and no hair anywhere else apart from the end of her tail!

I will try and get a pick on here later.

Fran
15-09-2005, 08:32 PM
Oooh Abbi, it sounds awful - bless her. I'm so glad you caught it in time!! Bless her I bet she's feeling the cold!! You'll have to speak to Sam about borrowing little Mo's coat :-D

Abbi
15-09-2005, 08:43 PM
lol - no not yet PK! Here you go - not looking so pretty bless her!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v502/Abbic/daisyshaved006.jpg

Fran
15-09-2005, 08:53 PM
Awww :smt007 she looks so sweet :-) Looks like one those of those designer clips like poodles have :P

Abbi
15-09-2005, 08:59 PM
yeah that is what I keep saying PK - she looks like a poodle! Poor little love.

Fran
15-09-2005, 09:47 PM
At least you caught it early Abbi, that's all that matters, her hair will soon start to grow back :-)

smudgley
15-09-2005, 10:04 PM
Poor little girl. :oops:

Good job you caught it early - fly blow can be gross & the maggots hatch & grow really quickly - yuk

and she looks like the perfect cat I have always wanted LOL - I wrote last week on the "fave colour thread that Kazz posted" how much I have always wanted a black & white long haired cat with perfect markings - I think I have just found her - :smt026

:roll:

bobbie3917
15-09-2005, 11:24 PM
so glad you where there to catch it in time Abbi poor thing

Abbi
16-09-2005, 08:26 AM
Awwww Smudgly, she had got lovely markings, she has white stockings up the back of her legs and little socks at the front (when her hair is there)

I hav another little problem this morning, I have noticed she is cleaning and licking the shaved area rather a lot and I think that I will need to get a collar as she is making herself sore! It never rains but it pours!

Fran
16-09-2005, 11:04 AM
Sounds like a collar might be a good idea Abbi....she doesn't need to add to her problems right now poor little love

Abbi
16-09-2005, 11:19 AM
My friend is collecting it for me tonight PK - hope that she will be ok?

Jeanette
18-09-2005, 07:01 PM
So sorry, I've not seen this thread till now :(

Poor Daisy :(

I hope she feels better soon.. It must itch, when the hairs grow out, that could be why she's licking so much??

Moli
18-09-2005, 07:26 PM
Poor girl, she does looklike a poodle.....

Fran
18-09-2005, 07:40 PM
How is Daisy doing now Abbi?

Abbi
18-09-2005, 08:31 PM
Hi guys

she is doing ok not licking as much and the fur has started to grow back already which is good - she looks odd - but eating very well which is a good sign.

Fran
18-09-2005, 09:00 PM
Awww that's great news Abbi!!

Jac
20-09-2005, 12:25 AM
O'h bless! sorry just noticed this. Poor wee lamb, thank goodness you noticed what was going on....

Mags
23-09-2005, 09:22 PM
I've just caught up on this thread Abbi.....poor Daisy, how is she now? It just goes to show how much our pets need us at times like this....I'm so glad you managed to catch it in time...

Abbi
28-09-2005, 04:32 PM
Thanks Jac - Hi Mags, well I have been away mum has been looking after her, got back last night and she is so much better - where she was licking her skin she created sore skin which developed into scabs - but when I get home her back was totally scab free and the fur is growing back nicely now. So I think she is on the mend bless her!

Jac
28-09-2005, 04:57 PM
What a good thing you knew to get her to the vet! I had never heard of that before.

Mags
28-09-2005, 05:35 PM
Sounds like your Mum looked after her well Abbi.
Hope you had a nice break...

Fran
28-09-2005, 07:05 PM
Great news Abbi, I'm glad Daisy is on the mend..

Abbi
28-09-2005, 09:47 PM
Thanks guys x

Moli
28-09-2005, 10:14 PM
Great she is feeling better Abbi, hope her fur gows before the cold weather...

Abbi
29-09-2005, 08:50 AM
yeah I know Moli - she does not go out for long and I wont be letting her out in the really cold weather or if its raining until she has her full coat back.

Jac
29-09-2005, 09:14 PM
You could always put knicker bockers on her

fluffybunny
02-10-2005, 03:01 PM
Good news that she's on the mend! Sadly flystrike is relatively common in rabbits, I've never heard of it before on a cat, although I guess flies aren't that bothered about what animal they're laying their eggs on.