PDA

View Full Version : Potty Box Problem

Chickadeedeedee
12-09-2005, 03:07 AM
Hi all.

We have 6 cats and 8 litter boxes for them. Zorro is a problem child. :?

He goes in the litter box and scratches himself out a hole in which to pee like a big boy and he squats down and starts to pee. As the process goes on, his hind legs start to straighten and he is soon standing and spraying on the wall. :shock:

He does not do this all the time but I estimate 50% of the time. He is young and has no arthritis. He has feline asthma and his medication does not alter HIS peeing schedule or routine. I have caught him numerous times in the act of standing up and I press his rear end down and he finishes in the correct position. He gets praised and petted for being a good boy.

The cats have a choice between the clay litter and the sandy clumping litter. All are unscented. I have used the product Feliway, a pheramone spray, and that made no difference.

I have resorted to taping plastic sheeting to protect the wall and it covers the floor on which the potty boxes rest.

Any ideas would be very much appreciated. Thanks.

C3D

Fran
12-09-2005, 08:16 AM
I have not encountered this problem C3D :? I have problems of them using the toilet in appropriate places sometimes :shock: but if they use the box they tend to be ok...Has he been neutered? Hopefully someone else on here will have had this experience and be able to offer you some advice......it must be very frustrating for you :?

bobbie3917
12-09-2005, 12:43 PM
sorry i have never had that problem either (saying that i only have girls) and the only thing i can think of is doing what you are doing with him, and that is if you catch him then push him back how he should be and the plastic

Chickadeedeedee
13-09-2005, 02:38 AM
:? Hmmmmmmm. I thought this was a stumper too! Zorro was neutered at 6 months of age and is a delight in every way except for 50% of his pee time.

Thanks Bobbie and Pretty Kitty for taking the time to reply to my question.

C3D

Emm
14-09-2005, 01:03 PM
I don't have a clue either both my boy cats only do the toilet outside its only the girl cats that do the toilet inside

have you tried using a covered litter tray so if he does spray it hits inside the litter box?

Fran
14-09-2005, 01:15 PM
Actaully Emm, that's a good suggestion! I use covered boxes, it's so much cleaner and less odourouss

Emm
14-09-2005, 01:17 PM
I like them as well - stops the dogs from having a rummage through the litter boxes and having an extra snack or two from it :lol:

Fran
14-09-2005, 01:34 PM
doesn't stop my dogs doing that - they still shove their heads through the flap for a hearty snack or two :roll:

Emm
14-09-2005, 01:42 PM
:smt043

Chickadeedeedee
15-09-2005, 02:34 AM
Ohhhhh Emm!!!!

:smt049 :smt049 :smt049

Darn!! My arms can't reach through the computer screen to give you a hug!
That is a fantastic idea! I'll purchase one tomorrow.

Hmmmmmm. I hope the little fellow:
A. uses the covered box
B. does not aim out the door! :shock:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Thanks again. I'll let you know how it goes.

C3D

Emm
15-09-2005, 11:32 AM
lol I never thought about that - aiming out the door :lol:

Chickadeedeedee
16-09-2005, 01:18 AM
LOL Emm.

I just hope Zorro doesn't figure it out. I was busy today and did not get the chance to buy the hooded box.

Thanks again for the suggestion. We'll get one in a day or two at the most. Hmmmm. Maybe he read this thread? he's peed in the box like he is supposed to now!

C3D

Chickadeedeedee
18-09-2005, 03:44 AM
Just a quick up date.

The covered litter box is a fantastic hit with the kitty population. Never have we introduced a better toy for them! :shock:

A covered fort with sand inside......what more could a kitty ask for? One lays inside the box and bats at another who is waiting outside the box. They are lined up waiting to get into this marvelous new toy to play or nap in the soft litter. :?

Not ~~quite~~ what I had in mind for the covered box. :lol: :lol: :lol:

At least they like it. 8)

C3D

Fran
18-09-2005, 11:51 AM
I was wondering how you were getting along and if you managed to get a covered box. What a nice mummy you are buying the kitties a new toy :lol: But has it cured Zorro's problem??

Chickadeedeedee
18-09-2005, 03:02 PM
Well, Pretty Kitty.....the covered potty box is a toy and a place in which t nap and play.

One does not pee in one's play house!

He still does what he was doing in the other potty boxes. Hmmmmm. This will take some time, ehh?

C3D :-)

Fran
18-09-2005, 05:58 PM
:lol: @ Zorro!!! Hope you get this sorted C3D as it seemed such a good idea :?

Chickadeedeedee
24-09-2005, 03:20 AM
It has been almost a week since the new "play house" was presented to Zorro in appreciation for his wall spraying abilities and .........

it remains the kitty play house! :shock: The six cats take turns SLEEPING in the covered litter box or the two brothers play and throw litter out the door as they run in and out of the box. :roll:

Somehow the plastic sheeting I had attached to the wall slipped and little Zorro's pee found its way behind it so all needed to be taken down, out and washed or replaced. :?

As I write this I am thinking to actually place some used litter in the covered box so they understand what the purpose is for this wonderous attraction. ~~Sigh~~

C3D :wink:

Emm
25-09-2005, 02:36 PM
:smt042 that made me laugh so much - your cats are great :lol:

Chickadeedeedee
25-09-2005, 07:35 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/chickadeedeedee/9dd84dcb.jpg

:D Thanks Emm. We think they are a lot of fun too! And tiny Zorro, pictured above, thanks you.

C3D

Mags
25-09-2005, 08:44 PM
Awwww Zorro looks all innocent C3D.....he doesn't know he is doing anything wrong :lol:

Fran
25-09-2005, 10:08 PM
Zorro is beautiful C3D, and sooo innocent. But he doesn't look that tiny to me :shock:

Chickadeedeedee
26-09-2005, 04:07 AM
I know Zorro doesn't know that I have a problem with how he pees. Zorro is a chunk and a half isn't he? :-)

You may have guessed that in addition to "wall art" his hobbies include eating and sleeping. LOL!

C3D

Mags
26-09-2005, 08:51 AM
:lol: :lol: :lol: What a clever cat you have there :-D

Fran
26-09-2005, 09:14 AM
He's a beauty C3D!! and what a character :-D

Emm
27-09-2005, 02:33 PM
awh how handsome is he :smt049