PDA

View Full Version : Dogs and Cats myth or truth?

Kazz
05-09-2005, 12:54 PM
I thought this little tale might make you smile.
Today I was walking the girls Sal and Tess early this morning and by about 5.30am we were returning home when I met a man fetching his morning paper he was totally fascinated by the fact trotting slowly behind us was one of my cats. Oscar who has accompanied the Staffs I have owned on local early morning late night walks for the last 20odd years. As puppies he "watches over them" almost guarding them from unwanted or over enthusiasitic adavance of other dogs (he is a decent size Tom) as they grow he tolerates their teenage advances as they get older he uses them as cushions and hot water bottles.

But on the walks if we meet other dogs he either scoots off or walks inbetween my two and they close ranks around him.

The cats as kittens came into the life of Sam and Gyp two fully grown Staffs and they accepted them. So Oscar and Cleo the cats grew up under the protection of two Staffs. Then due to old age we lost those two and got Gypsy (who hated anything on four legs it seemed somethimes) who had a great relationship with the cats especially Oscar. We lost Gypsy sadly earlier than we should have done and then came Sal - who is now 3 and has taken on the role of protector of a 23 year old white and ginger Tom. Abely supported by Tess who at almost 15 months when out and about and who until recently was occasionaly a little uncertain of whose side she was on the cats or the other dogs.

Anyhow the chap I meet this morning was convinced that staffs and cats were and are mortal enemies and gave me a warning "you'll live to regret that, one day one of them will get hurt"

And he may well be right because when we lost Sam and Gyp through old age and Gyp through illness. Oscar was heartbroken. He searched calling for them and finaly settled to sleep in their spots. Then we get a pup and his duties start all over again.
Sadly at 23 I can't see his duties and care extending to another generation of Staffs and that will be their loss as well as ours.

P.S His sister Cleo is totally uninterested in the dogs. She's only really interested if the nights are cold and she wants to stay warm. Then it seems they are tolerable. as she buries herself in the centre of the bodies piled on the sofa. and then you can see her almost thinking "why does she always get short coated dogs get St Bernards, or something with more fur to keep me warm" :-D

Karen

Mags
05-09-2005, 12:59 PM
That's a lovely tale Kazz, Oscar seems quite a character.....how is the old boy doing these days?

Kazz
05-09-2005, 01:04 PM
Thanks Mags he is fine thanks and seems to have picked up. He is asleep on the chair behind me, as Cleo is asleep in the box on the floor.

He has got character it always amazes me that he was abused as a kitten and there but for the skill and dedication of the rescue people he would have died. The rescue lady who I got them from adored to hear from him right up till she died she looked forward to the pictures and little notes.

Karen

Fran
05-09-2005, 01:09 PM
What a lovely story Kazz that once again highlights just what a special bond dogs and cats living together can have :-)

Kazz
05-09-2005, 01:10 PM
Hi Pk I am chatting to your son in PM's he must be bored talking to me. :wink:

Karen

Fran
05-09-2005, 01:14 PM
not at all Kazz, he has just been in to tell me and he seems quite full of it!!

Kazz
05-09-2005, 01:16 PM
He is a nice young man. :-D

Fran
05-09-2005, 01:18 PM
:? you don't live with him!! :roll:

Fran
05-09-2005, 01:19 PM
No actually, but don't tell him! he is a nice lad, very thoughtful and helpful and quite mature for his years

Kazz
05-09-2005, 01:31 PM
Well I am off to do some gardening dig in more compost intothe bed I am preparing for planting up so I will speak to eveyone later.

Take are and I agree with you wholeheartedly there PK he's a nice kid.

bobbie3917
05-09-2005, 04:05 PM
i get the same all the time Kazz, the dogs will turn in the end and get 1 of them. but in this house Sky rules and they all know it (well every 1 but Scarlott :roll: )

PaulaB
05-09-2005, 08:41 PM
I grew up with cats and dogs living happily together, dogs snitch on cats and so do the cats. Mind you imagine what damage a pyranian mountain dog who could open the kitchen door and a persion who could open the fridge door could do!!!!!!!!!! Now I have 3 cats Queenie, who took a long time to settle with Lucy ( I think she had been attacked by a dog) she now just gets ratty when Lucy snitches. Tippy who is fond of Lucy but likes to wind her up and Socks who seems to think Lucy is the nicest thing in the house. Mind you this is due to her fussing Socks when his mum bites him again!!!!!

Jac
05-09-2005, 08:49 PM
C-fur was pertified of Blue three weeks ago, now they are best of palls. Purrdie is pertified full stop. Watch this space :-D

Moli
05-09-2005, 09:40 PM
My cats always sleep with the staff's, my previous 2 staffies use to mother the kitens too...

bobbie3917
06-09-2005, 03:57 PM
i have all mine sleeping in the same bed it only took them about 2 weeks for Scarlott as she was a kitten and about a month for Sky as she is older (we might have to start all over again with her)

Scarlott meet the pups the othere day and she was not impressed :roll:

Jeanette
06-09-2005, 06:13 PM
Awww Karen

I love that Oscar :) He's quite a character :)

Great story Karen :)

J

Kazz
06-09-2005, 08:55 PM
Hi J nice to speak to you. :-D

Luke
07-09-2005, 08:23 AM
I think dogs and cats hating each other is a myth we have allways had multiple dogs and multiple cats infact i can remember when i was roughly 6 we would have had 5 cats and 7 dogs and they all got on well. Polly, Florrie and Clementine love each other and when Clementine went off on her travels the dogs got really depressed that she was gone.
And these are the apparent dogs that are born killing machines according to the Cats protection :roll:

bobbie3917
07-09-2005, 02:12 PM
dogs only go for cats cos cats run. if they did not run then most cats would be fine. when cats and dog live to gether the dog then thinks of the cat as part of the pack and thats why they are ok,

Fran
07-09-2005, 02:17 PM
I think that is true Nat, my dogs will give chase to strange cats in our garden because the cats run away but because my cats don't run away and usually go up to the dogs for a cuddle :roll: they never chase them...