PDA

View Full Version : How did you get your first cat?

Jac
29-08-2005, 02:35 AM
i went to the cat rescue and got two wee moggie kittens. I only went for one but the stench in the place, well I had to take both to get them out of there.
After the first night it was quite obviouse all was not well. They were sneezing, had a tempreture and it was clear they were really unwell. I made an appointment at the vets and took them up. He went nuts. Both had cat flu. they should never have been homed. One even had blisters on her tounge. Anyway I nursed them for days and they pulled through. They lived out there days with my kids (dogs) and me! I kind of lost "the" bug for a while but its back with a vengence :roll:

bobbie3917
29-08-2005, 12:09 PM
i had jusr had our first baby and we were living withmy FIL when on the way home 1 day we sore this 5/6 weeks old kitten just sitting in the road crying, we took her home, but when we moved to our own home a few weeks later she stayed with my FIL :( but she was happy there

Luke
29-08-2005, 04:15 PM
Well my family has allways had cats so the first one was Sherman, he was purchased around the day of my birth, he had come froma friend of the family
Best wishes

Mags
29-08-2005, 09:37 PM
I got my first cat from a pet shop :shock: because my children kept on and on that they wanted one.........he was the best thing I have ever bought :)

Chickadeedeedee
12-09-2005, 03:13 AM
My first cat came with the house my parents had just purchased a month before I was born. They always joked that the cat cost $35,000.00US and the house was free. :lol:

Moorchik always slept with me. It is the rare baby picture of me without the ever present fuzzy best friend. :)

Chickx3D

Jac
12-09-2005, 12:49 PM
O'h thats sweet

Emm
02-10-2005, 09:17 PM
I was brought up with cats but my first cat when I had moved out from home came from a pet shop - I didn't plan to buy a cat I was walking past a pet shop that was closing down and there was a sign kittens for sale - I thought omg how cruel and went in to have a look and there was this tiny wee kitten all by himself - I picked him up and this massive flea jumped off him - the owner said I could get him for £20 instead of £25 cause he had fleas!

I later found out he was only about 4 weeks old - poor thing but he is still with me now and I called him Lao Tzu (my OH named him) and he is 8 years old now

Luckily you can't buy kittens in a pet shop any more

samwise
02-10-2005, 10:23 PM
My first cat was when I was 4, I dont know where he came from. The next when I was 15, was from (:???: ) a pet shop. All the others (5) have been Cat Protection or other rescue.:)

Moli
03-10-2005, 07:43 AM
My first cat was a huge tabby moggie called Toby, he was the size of a dog and had the same temperment ad a dog..He lived till he was 18....

kerrie
03-10-2005, 09:16 AM
Luckily you can't buy kittens in a pet shop any more

my local petshop had kittens for sale a few weeks back :x

Emm
03-10-2005, 09:48 AM
really?
I thought that had been stopped - I would get in touch with the RSPCA and report them I really don't think its allowed any more.

Fran
03-10-2005, 09:51 AM
Is it a recent change then as I was under the impression that as long as they had a license they could sell kittens?? Not that I agree with it but I thought that they could

Emm
03-10-2005, 10:01 AM
I was reading in a trade magazine how a lot of pet shop owners wanted to bring back having puppies and kittens to sell because it brought in money for them

I thought it had been stopped - maybe just in Scotland?

There is no way the animals can be properly looked after in a pet shop - I remember the horror stories of some-one who worked in a pet shop that used to sell kittens and puppies.

Donna
24-11-2005, 07:59 PM
I decided to get a cat as I had separated from my husband and was lonely when the kids went to their dads. I felt I could offer a loving home for a cat as I had plenty of time at home to spend with it. Never could have cats before because my ex was allergic to them.

Got Chloe from an advert from a lady whose cat had had some kittens. After a few months I was offered a kitten "for free" from a friend of a friend. When I went to see the kittens I was angry at how the kids in the house were treating the kittens and the lack of cleanliness and decided there and then i would save one! Misty came home and Chloe hated her for days, but gradually got used to her. They get on all right now, they chase and play but also appreciate their own space.

Although Misty was free she ended up costing more than Chloe as she needed vetinary help as she had infections of the eyes and her breathing was a bit bad so she ended up costing a fortune at the vets for appointments and treatment.

Still, wouldnt have it any other way.

Naomi
24-11-2005, 09:17 PM
My first cat came from my MIL. I hadn't long had a miscarriage and we had been to my MIL's when I saw this gorgeous ginger and white kitten. Being semi-ferral she wasn't easy to catch but my inlaws caught her and put her inside for a few days. I thought it was because she was ill but my OH had told them that I had taken a fancy to her and so they had caught her especially for me.

Mags
24-11-2005, 09:32 PM
Ahhh that was nice Nae!

whiskey
05-12-2005, 10:52 PM
really?
I thought that had been stopped - I would get in touch with the RSPCA and report them I really don't think its allowed any more.

WERE I COME FROM THEY HAVE TO HAVE SPECIAL LISCENCE TO SELL KITTENS IN THERE SHOP WHICH THEY HAVE TO PAY FOR BUT I STILL DONT THINK ITS RIGHT.