PDA

View Full Version : Setting up a cattery

smudgley
19-08-2005, 08:32 AM
My husband asked me last night what my thoughts were on starting a cattery :? something I have mentioned to him before but didn't think he was that keen :roll: He wants us to look into it & maybe start a business boarding cats :shock: we have the space / experience. we have both worked in boarding establishments in our youth so have a good idea of how things work. Main problem would be someone to look after the cats. Would hubby give his job up to do it? Or would we employ someone to do it?
Perhaps we'll have a good think about it on holiday ................... holiday! Oh yes - what am I doing sitting on my PC - I have loads to do today..............see ya............................ :roll:

Mags
19-08-2005, 08:53 AM
That would be lovely Smudgley, you would probably need someone to help out especially with the jobs like cleaning out pens, litter trays etc, all of which are very time consuming...

Now get off that PC and start packing! :-D Have a great holiday!!

smudgley
19-08-2005, 08:58 AM
Yes mags - if we did it - we would have to do it all properly. :) I wouldn't / couldn't give my job up, but if we had enough cat pens & it was financially viable then hubby may give his job up - or we would consider paying someone to come & work here. I've been looking at the cat boarding licence etc & it all sounds good so far, what I wouldn't want to do though is have less CP cats - obviously they'd be very seperate - but I love doing that & wouldn't want that to change at all.

Fran
19-08-2005, 09:17 AM
Sounds like a great idea Smudgley, you have the experience and space. Oooooh exciting times ahead!! Now do as Auntie Mags says and get that suitcase packed or else!!!

Mags
19-08-2005, 11:06 AM
:lol: @ PK

Jac
19-08-2005, 12:19 PM
I hope your away packing! Have a great holiday. ps whats cp cats?

Jac
19-08-2005, 12:29 PM
Just worked it out!!! cat protection :!:

Kazz
19-08-2005, 06:33 PM
Oh Smudgley I could reccomend people to you the nicest cattery I ever saw was in Sutton, a lady with a reasonable sized garden had about 10 pens and they were lovely, with a sleeping area the size of a small shed with different levels a run then the dors of that wereopened onto a safety area where you couldn't open the pen gat unless you close that one, then a secure walkway that had a gate on the one end leading to a storage area with a couple of chairs in a consrvatory type thing where the lady sat to do her sewing keeping the cats compnay.

The pens had radio speaker in and the cats could have
the radio on WM as it happens and they all had heaters.

Karen

smudgley
19-08-2005, 09:46 PM
We are going to look into it. I think it would be a good idea & a nice thing to do - I know there are downsides too, but we will discuss it whilst we are away.
The big thing is - do we have a few pens ie 6-10 & employ someone to work here? Or do we have more & hubby leave his job :? to be here?
Love the idea of the cats listening to WM - they wouldn't understand Danny :smt007 though with his accent. They would all be black country cats. :-D

Kazz
19-08-2005, 10:15 PM
You could be right I swear I heard one of them say "Mind the hoss road" as I left :wink:

Karen

smudgley
20-08-2005, 07:21 AM
:-D

smudgley
06-09-2005, 07:31 AM
well I've had a good chat with the "boarding establishment licensing man" from the council, he was really nice & helpful. We have now looked into it as much as we can & have to now try to get planning permission.We are going to go for it & are trying to get licensed for as many cats as we can.
Here goes..... :roll: Fingers crossed for us girls :-D

Jac
06-09-2005, 07:57 AM
All the very best. Keep us posted.

Moli
06-09-2005, 09:11 AM
Sounds great Smudgley..fingers crossed for you....

Fran
06-09-2005, 09:30 AM
Fingers crossed here too Smudgley!!

Kazz
06-09-2005, 01:51 PM
Now Smudley if you get set up. Bear in mind I MAY thats only a MAY bear in mindlet you house my two for a long weekend they have never , ever been into a cattery or away from "me/the house" for any longer than to be payed about 1/2 a day.

I have never wanted to leave them with anyone ever but maybe you.

Karen