PDA

View Full Version : Siamese - advice please

fletch1973
30-07-2005, 06:38 PM
Any Siamese owners out there?

I have been offered the chance to get a Siamese kitten in December but want some advice first. I currently have two moggies, one male and one female and two staffies, who are good with the cats. My moggies have access to the great outdoors during daylight hours and only when I'm at home.

What I'm after is peoples experience of Siamese with other cats and dogs, how do they tend to get along? Would it be fair of me to get a Siamese and keep it as an indoor cat when my moggies get outdoor access? I live near a busy road and the only reason my moggies go out is because they have always been allowed to go out since kittens (I was living in a safer environment then!). If I did get a Siamese, would it be better to get a male or female? My cats are both neutered and the Siamese would be too, however my male can be a bit bolshy with the neighbourhood cats whereas my female is more timid and tends to avoid other cats.

Any thoughts and ideas welcome!

Claire

Fran
30-07-2005, 06:42 PM
Hello Claire and welcome to CP :smt039

I have a similar dilema at the moment as I am wanting a Bengal but have six cats that have acces to the outside world :? It's a toughy.....I doo not have any experience of Siamese but Moli does so maybe she may come along soon to advise you :-)

Moli
30-07-2005, 06:43 PM
Hi Fletch, I have had siamese and staffies living together for the past 20 years, at the moment I have 2 staffs, a boxer, ayoung siamese and 2 exotics...My cats like your only get out when I am at home and my door is open, never at night..Personally I like male siamese think they are more affectionate...It wouldn't be fair keeping one in and letting the others out.Siamese love being outdoors, just have to train it to be out only when you are at home...

fletch1973
30-07-2005, 06:51 PM
Thanks for the quick replies guys!! I'm just worried that my Siamese will get stolen if I allow it outdoor access, as I live in a dodgy area! as well as the risk of being run over on the road.
I really don't know what to do, I want a Siamese so badly but I don't want to get one at the expense of any of the cats health and sanity!!!
Maybe I'll win the lottery tonight. :D

Claire

Fran
30-07-2005, 06:54 PM
:lol: @ Clare

Mags
30-07-2005, 06:57 PM
Hi Claire!
I hope you do win the lottery tonight :-D
I own a moggie but I have a neighbour who owns a male siamese and she lets him out only when she is in as well. I know it must be difficult to decide what to do for the best when you own a pedigree cat but I would say to be guided by the area around where you live, especially if it would have access to busy roads..

Luke
01-08-2005, 11:13 AM
well i am going to stick a spanner in the works here, we had 1 siamese once a few years ago when i was a bit younger, she had come from my grandmothers stock but she wasn't show quality, anyways she pined to death for our persian cross and passed away at not that old.
But she used to have free acess thru the cvat flap, as did all my grandmothers toms.
Our present day moggie doesant go out, but just as she is too nervy, she prefers to go wandering in the late evening.
As for dogs, i found the siamese were very doggified anywaysLOL
Best wishes

fletch1973
02-08-2005, 08:41 AM
I have been thinking long and hard about this. I have always said that I wouldn't get another cat until my two passed away because of these issues, so I think that I will hold off from getting a Siamese right now and wait. Every time I let my two out, I always worry about them getting run over and ,last year, we had a spate of cats going missing and then being found with horrific injuries, one was left on it's owners door step with its head and tail cut off :smt022 . Needless to say, my cats were kept on house arrest for a couple of months.

Claire

Fran
02-08-2005, 08:52 AM
Aren't there some terribly people in the world that would do something so sick :( Did they ever catch the people who did thses horrific things?

I think you are right to wait, I am the same over the Bengal....I just wouldn't feel right letting the others out and keeping one in. Also for me the logistics of trying to keep one cat in would be difficult...I have cat flaps all over the place and two children that don't know how to shut a door lol..

Mags
02-08-2005, 08:53 AM
Hi Claire, I think maybe you have come to the right decision for now.....maybe the time isn't right.
I'm sure you will get your siamese one day in the future.
We would love to hear more about you and your cats, we have an Introduction section where you can introduce yourself so that we can all get to know you more :D