PDA

View Full Version : Problems with Matilda

Fran
26-07-2005, 07:32 PM
I am having problems with Matilda, she tolerates all the cats in the house with the exception of Lucky (my elderly girl) Today she has attacked her seriously, Lucky was pinned up against the wall unable to move away from her really attacking her :cry: This about the fourth serious attack now. We keep Lucky seperated from her and Sylvester as he is keen with her too when we are not in but this happened in front of my eyes!! Matilda is three times larger in size than Lucky is and the old girl doesn't stand a chance...I am really worried that one day she will kill her :shock:

Any advice please??? I am thinking that I may have to rehome Matilda for Lucky's sake.

shonedek
26-07-2005, 07:57 PM
we have a couple here that hate each other so much,ive never seen anything like it,hair flies to put it mildly.I just keep them seperate now and one of those as an oldie to.Its no different then people,some just cant stand each other

Kazz
26-07-2005, 08:05 PM
I have odd fall outs here too - between my two :roll: but nothing like you are speaking of. I have no idea what to suggest but good luck :D

Fran
26-07-2005, 09:02 PM
we have a couple here that hate each other so much,ive never seen anything like it,hair flies to put it mildly.I just keep them seperate now and one of those as an oldie to.Its no different then people,some just cant stand each other

I do my best to keep them seperate. When we are out or in bed they are definitely kept seperate, it's just when we are about they all have access to all the house. Lucky doesn't usually leave my side and looks to me for protection but this happened right under my nose :? Good job it did so I could sort it out quickly.....

shonedek
26-07-2005, 09:07 PM
its quite scary when they go for each other with intent.We do the same if we go out to and they seem to avoid each other the best they can,having the kittens running riot over the house dont help mind :)

Fran
26-07-2005, 09:13 PM
Trouble here though is Matilda goes looking for a fight, she doesn't go out of her way to ignore Lucky, quite the opposite :roll: She is great with the kittens though :? I just can't work it out but I feel very sorry for Lucky, she wouldn't hurt a fly and is my soulmate.......we have been together 18 years and I will not tolerate any of the others making her life a misery :(

Mags
26-07-2005, 09:16 PM
Sorry to hear that PK.....I can't think what else is the answer other than keeping them apart....

Fran
26-07-2005, 09:26 PM
I don't know whether to consider rehoming Matilda :? Lucky is the most important pet in my life! I love them all but Lucky is extra special :-)

shonedek
26-07-2005, 09:26 PM
if shes looking for a fight then i would of thought the best solution would be to re-home.I know its hard but previous experience has taught me that when (god forbid) you lose your oldie the other cat will look for a new victim its almost like they are the bully of the cat world.Thats what ive found anyhow :)

Fran
26-07-2005, 09:29 PM
Yes, I have been thinking the same Sam :( She is beautiful a real big, beautiful cat - but a bully :( maybe she needs a home where she is the only cat. She get's on great with the dogs though, she loves them :?

shonedek
26-07-2005, 09:31 PM
sounds like the best solution just for the safty of the other cats.i know its hard though and my heart is with you :)

Mags
26-07-2005, 09:33 PM
How old and how long have you had Matilda PK?

Fran
26-07-2005, 09:33 PM
I wonder if I could find anybody nice to take her on though? How would you suggest going about rehoming her, I really wouldn't be happy letting her go to just anybody :? She is about 5 years old now?

Fran
26-07-2005, 09:34 PM
How old and how long have you had Matilda PK?

She is about 5 now Mags, I have had her since she was eight weeks old.....

Mags
26-07-2005, 09:36 PM
Has she always had this mean streak in her?

Fran
26-07-2005, 09:38 PM
No, Mags she hasn't , I'd say she's been like this for around 8-10 months and she is only like it with Lucky.....hubby is convinced it's because she knows Lucky is old and is just taking advantage :?

Fran
26-07-2005, 09:40 PM
Both her and Sylvester both 'changed' after we lost Gizmo, it's as if the balance of the hierachy within the cat household was altered :?

Mags
26-07-2005, 09:42 PM
Yes it could be that PK, poor Lucky :(
I've forgotten exactly how old Claude is now, I was wondering if it had anything to do with when Maude was pregnant :?

Fran
26-07-2005, 09:46 PM
No Mags, this started a long time before Maud had any babies, I'd say Maud was only a baby herself when this happenened the first time :?

Mags
26-07-2005, 09:52 PM
I think Smudgley is here PK, she could probably give you a lot of advice about rehoming if it came to it....

Fran
26-07-2005, 10:00 PM
Yes, I think I may speak to her when I make the decision.....it's hard, I do lover her and she is so beautiful and loving....except with Lucky :?

Kazz
26-07-2005, 10:21 PM
She may find it to hard to live with other cats. Not all cats are cat lovers are they. Maybe she would be happier in a single cat household. Sur you will be guided in the right direction by Smudgley.

Fran
26-07-2005, 10:25 PM
She was fine Kazz with all the other cats including Lucky (after all she was brought up with them all from 8 weeks old) until we lost one of the older cats about 18 months ago now...It's as if losing Giz upset the 'applecart' :?

She is fine with all the others but she is definitely alpha queen!!

Mags
26-07-2005, 10:26 PM
Animals do pine when they lose one of their kind too, don't they? Seems like she hasn't got over it :(

Fran
26-07-2005, 10:28 PM
Yes Mags and we also lost Jemima (17 years old) a few months later.....so it was very unsettling :(

Kazz
26-07-2005, 10:29 PM
Maybe Giz kept Matilda more in line than you realised. And loosing that stability is what has upset her. :(

Mags
26-07-2005, 10:29 PM
That might be the root of the problem then :?

Fran
26-07-2005, 10:33 PM
Possibly, Jemima was the alpha female until she went so Matilda may have just seezed an opportunity to take over....difference is Jemima and Lucky got on great as they were brought up together from a very young age.....Lucky and Maud now have that bond but Matilda seems intent on killing Lucky :evil:

Kazz
26-07-2005, 10:38 PM
The thing with cats is - you can't really tell them no can you like a dog I can stop the dogs doing someting with a look but not the cats. So you adapt to cat ways.

Maybe a new home would be better for her before Lucky looses all confidence.

Fran
26-07-2005, 10:52 PM
I think you are right Kazz, she trust's me implicitely but I feel I have let her down today :roll: She trusts Maud, Claude and Clooney but it ends there.....I think her confidence is dwindling and I haved to take action :(

Kazz
26-07-2005, 11:05 PM
I don;t envy you but think you are doing the right thing.

Fran
26-07-2005, 11:12 PM
Just wish I knew of some nice - perhaps elderly couple, who don't have a cat and would like one...she would make a great companion to someone who just had her for company :-)

Kazz
26-07-2005, 11:32 PM
She she would suit me down to the ground especially as she gets on with dogs :-D but with Oscar and Cleo in such good health I can't see me having aother cat for a while. But when I do it will be an adult and one who is used to dogs (would have to be having Staffs) :roll:

Sorry PK.

Kazz
26-07-2005, 11:34 PM
Why don't you try the cinnamon trust they rehome and home pets for elderly people ie people who can't keep their dogs/cats whatever and people who have lost their cat/dog whatever and want another - try :-D

I walk for them - I walk an elderly Lab for an even older couple who can't do it anymore and want to keep their pet ie I come in and walk once a week. :-D

The link not sure if they can help but you never know :-D http://www.cinnamon.org.uk/
Karen

Fran
27-07-2005, 07:56 AM
Thanks Kazz....I'm still chewing it over this morning :? She has been in to see the kitties and has been so gentle saying hello to them, I am flabergasted as to why she is like she is with Lucky :?

Here is a piccie of her taken a couple of years ago now with Maddie....the cat on the radiator bed above is Lucky, the cat she now hates :?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v669/pretty1kitty/MaddieandTillycropped.jpg

and here is a piccie of her taken a few weeks ago - layed on the puppies weighing scales...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v669/pretty1kitty/MatildaonScales.jpg