PDA

View Full Version : Questions about fostering

Luke
21-07-2005, 09:35 PM
Hi all,
we have decided to volounteer to foster for the CPL or RSPCA.
And we want to know a few things
Firstly,...how do we go about?
Are thier home checks?
WHat are we expected to do?
What happens basically?
We really want to do this to help out litters of abandoned and orphaned kittens etc
Therefore any help will be greatly appreciated
Best wishes

Moli
21-07-2005, 09:36 PM
Think Smudgley or Bobbie are the best people to talk to luke...

Luke
21-07-2005, 09:37 PM
ok, will have to wait for them to post
Best wishes

Fran
21-07-2005, 09:56 PM
Yes I am sure Smudgley and Nat will be best able to offer you advice....

Mags
21-07-2005, 10:13 PM
As the others have said Luke, Smudgley is your best bet for info....or Bobbie

Luke
21-07-2005, 10:24 PM
ok well me and Nat had a chat, and have just PM'ed Smudgley
Best wishes

Moli
21-07-2005, 10:25 PM
Hope you get it sorted out Like...

smudgley
21-07-2005, 11:09 PM
Pm'd you Luke :-)

bobbie3917
21-07-2005, 11:48 PM
hope i helped a little luke

Luke
22-07-2005, 12:20 AM
Yes you did help a lot Natalie
Smudgely just seen it
Best wishes

smudgley
23-07-2005, 09:03 PM
Any more thoughts on fostering lu-1

Kazz
23-07-2005, 09:06 PM
Do you get many volunteers to be foster homes?

Luke
24-07-2005, 02:07 PM

Well we definatley still up for it, and are gonna ring the Mid Warwickshire and Coventry branch of the CPL on Monday morning.
Preferably we would like to do hand rearing as this is what we have most experince in doing with various animals and/or litters of kittens with their mums etc
Hopefully it will go through smoothly, i do have one question though.

Say along the way there is a particular kitten or cat that you really fall for etc are you allowed to keep them, or do they have to go to the catterys?

Mags
24-07-2005, 02:15 PM
I would think you would have to discuss that between you and the CPL at the time Luke....not sure about that..

smudgley
24-07-2005, 07:32 PM
Do you get many volunteers to be foster homes?

Not enough Kazz - there's always loads more cats waiting to come in than spaces available :shock:

smudgley
24-07-2005, 07:35 PM

Well we definatley still up for it, and are gonna ring the Mid Warwickshire and Coventry branch of the CPL on Monday morning.
Preferably we would like to do hand rearing as this is what we have most experince in doing with various animals and/or litters of kittens with their mums etc
Hopefully it will go through smoothly, i do have one question though.

Say along the way there is a particular kitten or cat that you really fall for etc are you allowed to keep them, or do they have to go to the catterys?

Depends what your situation is - but no reason why you couldn't keep one if your home was suitable. Mags is right though it would be for you to discuss with CP (which by the way is no longer CPL - but now called CP)

Keep us posted on how you get on. That branch were at the Guide Dog gala day a few weeks ago. (they had some kittens with them which I thought was terrible & am going to ask some questions why they were there, when there were hundreds & hundreds of dogs there)

Mags
24-07-2005, 08:12 PM
Keep us posted on how you get on. That branch were at the Guide Dog gala day a few weeks ago. (they had some kittens with them which I thought was terrible & am going to ask some questions why they were there, when there were hundreds & hundreds of dogs there)
Poor little kittens must have been terrified, Smudgley :(

Kazz
24-07-2005, 08:28 PM
Who do you foster for Smudley?

Because it would be something I may be interested in persuing when (hopefully many years in the future) when I have no longer got Oscar or Cleo.

What would I need to have? or do to be considered as a foster home?

Karen

smudgley
24-07-2005, 11:36 PM
I foster for Stourbridge & district Cats protection.

Kazz - "What would you need to do?" you'd need to show the slightest bit of interest & you'd have a cat pen in your garden a few hours later :-D

not sure who your local branch would be - depends what part of B you live.

Fran
24-07-2005, 11:41 PM
Do the rescue cats have to be housed outside Smudgley :?

Kazz
24-07-2005, 11:50 PM
That was what I was going to ask do they?

smudgley
25-07-2005, 07:31 AM
No - but they do have to be kept away from any other cats. So some people have a pen in their spare room for moms & kittens. Some people don't have their own cats-so foster in the house - but that limits you as none of the cats can be mixed. I am able to take 4 "families" of cats if needbe, as I have 4 pens. I've got room for more - but not the time. I'd have more if I could but I can just manage what I've got. I can only really speak about the branch I'm involved with, but I know the others would have the same policies on mixing cats.

Kazz
25-07-2005, 10:38 AM
Thats okay then. Not mixing can I ask what sort of size pens they are looking for?

Karen

smudgley
25-07-2005, 01:47 PM
I ./////////////////////////./ :shock:

smudgley
25-07-2005, 01:51 PM
That was Smudge the cat wanting a cuddle & standing on keyboard for attention. :lol:

With my local branch (again not sure about others though) it's a case of whatever space you've got - they are made to measure. Mine are 12' x 9' (I think) but weren't made to measure - mine are Lindee Lu design pens 8)

Kazz - have a look at Cats protection website - go to branches & shelters & look at your local branch - if they've got a website take a look. 8)

Kazz
25-07-2005, 06:28 PM
Good point I will have a look.

There again I may just specalise in rehoming oldies. :-D I'll be the person who goes to the Cat rescue adn say I'll have your most unhomeable/longest stay cat. Please.
I can't see me getting kittens after these two have gone. But oldies - yes that would be me.

Karen