PDA

View Full Version : Advice needed about pet Shop

Luke
19-07-2005, 05:34 PM
Are they allowed to sell kittens?
A new pet shop has opened at the back of the regular one, that we go to, Hobdays has been there since the 60's and now Gosford Pets has jsut opneed anyways.
Gosford pets had 4 weedy kittens for sale, they were in a rabbit hutch with cardboard on the floor and no water.
They had matas in their fur, crystiness around thier eyes and looked in bad shape.
So is it illegal to sell kittens in a pet shop, if so should we call the RSPCA
Best wishes

Bellakatz
19-07-2005, 05:39 PM
Report them straight away to the rspca..
I am not to sure about pet shops being allowed to sell kittens
But the poor kittens sound like they are not being cared for properly

I know Harrods sell kittens,there is a petition agaist Harrods selling kittens

Fran
19-07-2005, 05:42 PM
As far as I am aware Luke, they can sell, kittens, puppies etc.. but they have to have a license to do so. But if the pets are in bad conditions Luke I would report them...RSPCA, local council etc..

belladiablo
19-07-2005, 05:42 PM
Pet shops are allowed to sell kittens, there is a petition at the moment going around to try to stop Harrods selling them! Some breeder clubs won't let breeders sell to pet shops, such as Felis Britannica!
You should phone your local council if you are worried about the kittens in the shop, your local trading standards would know what to do, and the right way to do it!!! Not only will they call the RSPCA, if it is urgent, but they should also be able to prevent the shop from selling them for a while at least! Let them know if you think it is urgent though!

Hope this helps!

Mags
19-07-2005, 05:57 PM
I bought my previous cat from a pet shop and all the animals appeared clean and well looked after then. Maybe standards have dropped now and they are just interested in making money and not caring for the animals.....

belladiablo
19-07-2005, 06:05 PM
Mags,

Same here, got two lovely moggies from a pet shop, they were very well and healthy in appearance. What I should have noted at the time though was their eyes were blue, and they were not properly weaned! So it could have gone horribly wrong! Luckily, they were fine, although this was when I still let my cats free roam, and one was run over, and she was only just over six months old!!!! Devastating!

Mags
19-07-2005, 06:11 PM
...sorry to hear that..

belladiablo
19-07-2005, 06:16 PM
It was such a shame, she was a gorgeous little thing! Six months is no age, prob could have handled it better if she had been older!

Still my cats go nowhere now, and have a playrun instead!