PDA

View Full Version : i have kittens

bobbie3917
17-07-2005, 06:15 PM
hello all

i have kittens, i friend of mine just came over and asked who will look after some kittens. i asked what do you mean, she said that a friend of her's has 4, 2 day old kittens that they want to bump them out her garden with her mother and let them all go wild. she said to feed the mother so the kittens don't die but just leave them out side.
the mother is a Persian (SP?)cross. she is all black and the kittens are all tortties. i don't even know what sex they are

they are all full of fleas so what can i give them? i will be using a nit comb on them later

ant help on that would help thanks

Mags
17-07-2005, 06:27 PM
Are they ferrals Nat? If not I assume you won't be keeping the poor mum and kittens outside, will you? :shock:
I would have said the kitts are far too young to have any flea treatment yet.
Poor little things, I feel quite sorry for them :(

bobbie3917
17-07-2005, 06:34 PM
nope they are not ferrals Mags, i do have a room for them that is nice and cool but away from my lot that i will be putting them in when the OH gets home.
but i do need to do something out these fleas as a lot of them can kill a kitten. i will use a tooth comb on them later but cant i treat mum with something??

Mum has been feed and all kittens are feading so they are all happy right now :D

Kazz
17-07-2005, 06:37 PM
Good lord I have no idea. Will have a search through a few books for you you could do with Smudgley really Cat Protection woman.

Karen

Kazz
17-07-2005, 06:38 PM
Combing may be the answer. For the kittens though, as this is what one of my books say

Flea infestation of kittens is especially serious because they have a low volume of blood and a heavy flea burden causes anemia which can lead to debility or even death.

Very young kittens are at risk of being poisoned by flea products intended for adult cats. Check with your vet for a suitable product for kittens and use only the recommended quantity. Very young kittens should be groomed with a flea comb to safely remove fleas. This is a tedious but necessary task. All kittens should be treated at the same time as the fleas will jump from one to the other when they nestle together.

Karen

Mags
17-07-2005, 06:39 PM
I am no expert Nat so I wouldn't like to suggest what you can do about the fleas on the mum, especially as she has only had the kitts a couple of days. Hopefully someone more experienced will be able to help with that one :wink:
Glad to hear mum and kitts have had a feed!

Kazz
17-07-2005, 06:42 PM
How about one of those unltrssonic ones you know the sort you hang up.

Moli
17-07-2005, 06:42 PM
Think Sam would be the best one to ask, she is here somewhere...

shonedek
17-07-2005, 06:43 PM
you can use frontline flea spray or drops on mum.Kittens will have to be sprayed as the drops i dont think can be used on such young babies(not sure as i always use spray)
ALL the kittens will be female if they are tortie as its very RARE to get a male tortie.

Luke
17-07-2005, 07:07 PM
Aww poor little babies, got any pictures of the little darlings?
I dont know how a person could contenplate chucking them out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

bobbie3917
17-07-2005, 07:39 PM
i guessed that there all girls as i know that torties dont come in boys often.

i have been told now that i am use frountline on mum and that will pass on to the kittens i can only use 0.5mls which is going to be hard to now how much so i will only use 1 drop

will put up pic later

Kazz
17-07-2005, 07:51 PM
Its a shame sometimes isn't it. How "uncaring people can be" :(

Fran
17-07-2005, 08:32 PM
Nat you can use the Frontline spray on the babies....Like you say a severe flea infestation can be extremely detrimental to young kitties even to the point of death :(

shonedek
17-07-2005, 10:04 PM
spray i feel is much better because the fles die on contact with the coat.With the drops they still have to bite the cat before they die.I dont use drops as i have one who is allergic to flea bites so i cant take the chance,its SPRAY all the way :)

smudgley
18-07-2005, 03:46 PM
hi - 8)
frontline spot on is safe for adults but should not be used on lactating queens. Frontline spray is safe to use on nursing queens. Frontline spray is safe to use on kittens from 48hours old - but they should be taken away from mom until dry (yes I know it's young - but they'll be ok, while they are drying off) Also remember your environment spray too.
Hope they are all ok.

Bellakatz
18-07-2005, 04:48 PM
Hope mum and kittens are doing well

Some people can be so cruel cant they :evil: :evil: